Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by sunny1 »

Louis Mathews wrote: We will always feel that Terry has not departed, he is still with us in our hearts and minds.
When you think of him remember his smile, enthusiasm, concern, and that habitual laugh when he spoke to someone he loved and respected....
From time to time a photo, story or recollection of Terry will be added to the Face Book page I created in his name. Feel free to post and share as well.
Strong work, guys - what an honorable thing to do. Thanks for posting the summit pic - that's priceless.

I had a fun memory of Terry today. I'd been hiking and my feet were done. As I took off my boots, there was a flood of instant, amazing relief! Your whole body sighs. :-D
Terry called that "Toe-gasms". :lol:
Anybody else hear him say that?
So fitting!

RIP, buddy.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yup!
That came up when we all got back to camp yesterday. :lol:
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

I put together a short video from our climb of Crestone Needle to release Terry Mathews ashes.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/fk1lGUmrPvs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(For some reason I can't get the video to embed in the post.)
Adventurgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 120 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Adventurgal »

A beautiful and powerful video tribute Globreal.
Thank you for sharing.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Britt, Thanks for sharing.

[youtubevideo]?v=fk1lGUmrPvs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUlj2ugAtZy1Vmy9tmBaB7w[/youtubevideo]
Not sure why, but the URL comes up differently if I click on it from your home page?

Terry's picture has been riding with us to some summits. Oxford
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

globreal wrote:I put together a short video from our climb of Crestone Needle to release Terry Mathews ashes.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/fk1lGUmrPvs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(For some reason I can't get the video to embed in the post.)
Very nice Britt, thanks for sharing. It was emotional to watch.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
Trudger
14ers: 7 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Trudger »

Louis Mathews wrote:Same for me along with a sense of pride. I wish the ones saved someday will know what a great guy he was and how loved and respected by 100's.
Thank you for sharing that donor recipient letter. You should feel proud he was a donor. I've been a donor recipient for 23 years. The quality of my life has been greatly improved ever since that surgery. I wish more people would understand the profound impact blood and organ donation has on recipients - it completely changes our lives. I hope you do get to meet the recipients. While I respect the anonymity wishes of my donor, I've always had a nagging wish I that I could have properly thanked his family.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

This Friday September 13th will be 2 months since Terry left us. The following Friday September 20th would have been his 39th birthday. Time for us has slowed down, it seems like he has been gone a long time. We are moving forward and I am happy to report that our immediate family have reconciled differences realizing that isolation is detrimental to all concerned. A psychologist from the VA called me yesterday asking how we were doing. I know the grieving process never ends and understand everyone is different and needs time to deal with it. My biggest issue is denial and pretending things are normal when they are not.
This is not confined to biological family but to his extended adopted family in the 14er community and beyond.
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerCurt »

Mr. Mattews
My sincere condolences on Terry's passing. I never met Terry but feel like I knew him in some small way through this site. As a fellow bereaved father I've unfortuenately learned that I now have a new normal and that time is healing. Even though my son's circumstances were different then Terry's (he was very young) I believe we'll have these in common. I knew I was 'coming to terms' (whatever that means) when I started remembering the good times, hugs and smiles (there were many) instead of remembering when I punished him or yelled at him (very few times). Peace to you and the rest of Terry's family.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Thinking of Terry on the 39th anniversary of his birth, and missing his text messages, and his intelligence, and his honesty, and vulnerability. He was so brave in his trust.

He would be texting us all today, and we'd smile and think he was a dork, and be glad that he was our friend, because his silly text message might be the brightest spot in our crappy day.

Me: happy birthday terry :-)
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

RIP Terry.

I'm not sure if this had been previously posted, but I found this while searching for info on the Bell Cord this morning...

hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

I was just thinking about Terry tonight and wanted to bump this thread in his memory.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog