One year ago--Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

One year ago--Steve Gladbach

Post by globreal »

It was one year ago today (June 23) that our dear friend, Steve Gladbach died in the Elk mountains. Not only was Steve one of the most accomplished mountaineers, but he was one of the most selfless people I've known. He mentored many and was constantly giving to others. In the spirit of Steve's giving nature, I'd like to invite you to leave a comment here, and or join me in making a small contribution to the STEVE GLADBACH MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT. This fund is used for mountaineering education purposes.

Help us keep the fund solvent. Help us continue the legacy of Steve Gladbach.

You can send a check to the Colorado Mountain Club:

Colorado Mountain Club
710 10th Street, Suite 200
Golden, CO 80401-5843
Memo: Steve Gladbach Memorial Endowment

or you can give online at cmc.org

Click on Donate tab-->Individual Giving
Click on Donate Now
Put your donation in the STEVE GLADBACH MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT box.

I miss you Steve. Thank you for your example of helping others reach their goals.
Britt
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: One year ago--Steve Gladbach

Post by mtgirl »

I hiked my very first 14er with Steve, many years ago, and I will forever cherish our shared summits. He will never be forgotten, and I can only hope to be half the person he was - both on and off the mountains.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Thanks to 14ers.com Dorthe & I got to meet Steve a few years ago. We had the opportunity to hike with him on a few occasions. Steve had a manner about him that made you feel comfortable, like you had known him a lot longer. His mountaineering accomplishments are way beyond what most of us will ever achieve. At the memorial we got to meet his family and hear stories from his friends. Steve's mountaineering accomplishements pale in comparision to how big a person he was.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

I never had the opportunity to meet Steve in person, but his posts and trip reports were and are an inspiration for life. My recent trip started with a visit to Garden of the Gods in honor and memory of him and others (I had never been there).

I'm thinking more of sharing with and meeting fellow climbers, and am more outgoing that I would be because of experiences like this - life is short and people are what its about.

Make a positive difference in someone's life. Today.

- Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I thought of Steve on Friday while I was on Crestone Peak. I have his picture attached to my compass and carry it with me always.
In the background is one of Steve's favorite peaks, Crestone Needle. We had talked about climbing it late last summer...

"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach