Friends (Loss of friends)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Friends (Loss of friends)

Post by globreal »

I have been reading THE LEDGE, a book about Jim Davidson and Mike Price's climb and tragedy on Mount Rainier. The two fell into a deep crevasse and Mike passed away in the 80 foot fall. Jim recounts the story and loss of his close friend in this book.

It's been an emotional read for me, bringing up when I lost a close friend on a climb. In fact, it's caused me to reflect back on the loss of four climbing friends.

Being involved with this climbing community has allowed me to make some incredible friendships. Many wonderful memories have been etched into my mind both on and off the mountain. Reading THE LEDGE has brought back many of those memories, as well as making me painfully aware that life is short and friends are priceless.

For some reason I was drawn to read this today:
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance.
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

I even re-read those verses applying them to times in the mountains…whoa…that was some introspection there!
Anyway, I think that reading between the lines, I can find something like this:
a time for friendships to be established, a time for friendships to be remembered.

Often, we don't realize the friendships we have until they are gone. Can anyone relate to this?

I was bless to be allowed to make these videos for my various climbing friends. I thought I would post them here as there are always new people coming to this site. Let them be a reminder to us all, that life is short, we could be only one step away from a fatal fall, and that friends are priceless.

Steve Gladbach
[youtubevideo]watch?v=FcTXy9_2pSk&list=UUDbSAf-OLV8W7VsiJK2syLg[/youtubevideo]
Terry Mathews
[youtubevideo]watch?v=fk1lGUmrPvs[/youtubevideo]
Jim DiNapoli
[youtubevideo]watch?v=U3R5ksNfMfU[/youtubevideo]
Kevin Hayne
[youtubevideo]watch?v=GakwnJiO1zA[/youtubevideo]
(Ironicially, Kevin passed passed away on Little Bear the summer following his making of this video.)

ONWARDS!
Britt
Last edited by globreal on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Friends (Loss of friends)

Post by Kiefer »

This is a WELL-TIMED post Britt. The way this season has started, I think a good dose of nostalgia for fallen friends and consequences will benefit all of us.
They were all my friends and like random memories, their faces come rushing by at strange times that seem to have no correlation.
One of my strongest memories is taking Kevin winter camping for his first time to Holy Cross. I still remember, quite vividly, talking about mountains, camping techniques and God's place in our lives. We never made the summit but had a good, bonding trip.

Thanks for posting these videos. They make me introspective & pensive but for the right reasons.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

This is beautiful Brit.
through being cool
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Awesome. Thank you!
I'm slower than Scott P.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Thank you for posting this Britt.

Tossing a Colorado rock into the ocean for Mike Cormier, near Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Lost last year on Challenger.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Beautiful tribute, Britt. Incredible lives gone, but never, ever forgotten. We've lost some truly special friends from this community.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

very nice, Britt.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 359 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

These are lovely, Britt. Sadly I never got to meet any of these guys but their legacy lives on through their invaluable contributions to the site and from these beautiful tribute videos. Thank you
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Very well-said Britt. While the pain of losing friends in the mountains (and off the mountains) is difficult to overcome, it's important to remember that a shared love for the mountains and for adventure is what brings us together in the first place. Without these magical places, many of us would have never met and never shared the amazing experiences that we have together. These experiences and relationships enrich our lives more than we can quantify. It's important to remember the good times and know that those we have lost in this community have lived very rich lives.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Thanks Britt, your compassion and kindness is a constant in this community.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Beautiful Britt.

In memory of Rob Jansen lost to us August 25th 2012. The first photo is one I took of Rob, with Jeff, James, and Greg. I remember him telling me how much he liked the photo which still remains his Facebook profile background photo to this day.

The second one is my favorite photo with Rob Jansen (far left) as he liteally dragged us up Humbolt after climbing the Needle earlier in the day. He was all smiles while I had to force mine.

Rest in peace my friend.
Attachments
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG (67.87 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Rob, Greg and I on Humbolt after earlier climbing the Needle in the back left of photo.jpg
Rob, Greg and I on Humbolt after earlier climbing the Needle in the back left of photo.jpg (71.06 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

And this is the video Kushrocks made for Rob. Thank you, Britt, for all your efforts.

Here's to friendships remembered: