Gudy Gaskill, ‘Mother of the Colorado Trail,’ dies at 89

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Gudy Gaskill, ‘Mother of the Colorado Trail,’ dies at 89

Post by DurangoJenn »

What a wonderful legacy she leaves. May she RIP.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... dies-at-89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Gudy Gaskill, ‘Mother of the Colorado Trail,’ dies at 89

Post by kaiman »

Thanks for the link. That's sad news, she was an amazing woman. As someone who has hiked and biked sections of the CT, I've always been amazed how well laid out and maintained the trail is, no doubt in part due to the 30 years of hard work she put into making things happen. It looks like it's time to make a donation...

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Oh, No! She was so Great! Here CT book is was of the best written guide books I've ever used. Writers could learn a lot from her style. She will be missed. RIP, Gudy.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

She will definitely be missed! Her spirit, drive and perseverance was one of the main reasons the CT was completed. And, she was a heck of a nice lady. Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
bglad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bglad »

On behalf of the Steve Gladbach Family: Thoughts and prayers for the family and many friends of Gudy Gaskill. A visionary for the planning and completion of the Colardo Trail. A true naturalist and lover of all things wild. A friend and mentor to Steve who encouraged him to give back to the mountains he loved. Gudy taught us to immerse ourselves entirely into the mountains; paying attention to all the details, big and small. She taught us to stop and smell the flowers and then identify them. A Giant in the conservation movement; her legacy lives on! We love you Gudy!