Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hiking/Climbing in the Cascades?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Hiking/Climbing in the Cascades?

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm

kaiman wrote: Like Mount Adams, the standard routes on the Three Sisters offer fairly crevasse free (although there are some they are easily avoidable) glacier climbs, with a bit of technical (Class 3-4) climbing thrown in for good measure.

Huh? South Sister is a walkup and Middle isn't a whole lot harder. North is, well, a real mountain.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm jealous! I'm a huge fan of the NW. I live in Colorado now, but can't wait to move back to the NW. No reason why you can't have a ton of fun out there, and don't be surprised if after you start exploring, you find that 14ers don't really matter to you the way that they used to.. I dream about the Cascades every day..

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

VagabondSurveyor wrote: don't be surprised if after you start exploring, you find that 14ers don't really matter to you the way that they used to..

By growing up in CO, I thought I knew mountains, until I went to the Cascades. Then I thought I knew mountains, until I went to the Alps.
I can't wait to go to the Andes and Himalaya.

Postby kaiman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm

TravellingMatt wrote:Huh? South Sister is a walkup and Middle isn't a whole lot harder. North is, well, a real mountain.

"Real mountains" as you call them are always in the eye of the beholder. What may be a mere "walk up" to you is a bigger challenge to others. It also depends on the time of year and routes. I saw plenty of snow and holes on all three of the Sisters and had to set up several snow picket belays on the ice covered North Ridge of Middle Sister and below the summit on the North. Its also a beautiful area and shouldn't be missed. Plus my point was that they would provide the OP with a good introduction to glaciers so that he could pursue other harder mountains in the range which is what he was asking for in the first place. See subject line.

Previous