Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hawaii 2013

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Hawaii 2013

Postby ChrisinAZ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

I'd totally go if I had the money, but I don't...what's the plan? Ultras and county highpoints? Good luck with the access on Puu Kukui and endless swamps on Kawaikini, if so... :wink:
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby Jump Roper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 pm

My brother lives on the big island of Hawaii so we go visit when we can. I would say you have to hike Mauna Kea. It has been labeled the highest mtn in the world. Well, that is if you hike it from the Ocean floor. Regardless, it is a great peak and you can stand in snow at the top. Yes, snow in Hawaii. I would also hit up my brother for a free Kona Coffee tour. www.konaearth.com. He is from CA so kinda a sea-level type guy but is full of good in formation and goes up to Mauna Kea all the time because he loves astronomy and there are a ton of telescopes up there.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Postby screeman57 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Climb Haleakala from the very bottom, beginning at Kaupo gap. The road actually does go all the way around the South side of the volcano, even though it doesn't appear on most maps (the rental car companies don't want you taking their cars around there). The road is rough, but driveable by passenger cars unless there are washouts. Sea-level to 10,000 feet in only 17 miles! The logistics are tricky, requiring you to get dropped off or picked up (and neither option is easy). PM me if you want more details--I lived on Maui for a year and spent a lot of time in Haleakala crater, as well as climbing it from the beach once.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby jblyth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 am

We really enjoyed Kauai and the kalalau trail was incredible; try to spend at least two nights (more if possible). It's not a peak, but some of the best scenery in the entire world. Have fun!

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am

Though of course Mauna Kea is the highest, and we enjoyed climbing it, our Big Island high-lite was climbing and sleeping in the little hut on "top" of Mauna Loa (it's called the summit hut, but it is not on the true summit). We climbed it via the much shorter trail from the saddle road, hiked to the "summit" cabin, then hiked to the real summit around the crater (5 miles!) the next morning, then down. Nice little two-day trip. I believe this was the absolute best star-viewing I've ever done. In fact on the cabin's door, written on the inside someone has scribed: "My God, its full of stars". Bonus points for whoever recognizes that movie quote.

We also greatly enjoyed the Napali coast trail, but in recent years the far end of the trail has become a Kauai homeless neo-hippie hangout, and this has degraded the quality of this experience, IMHO. Tarps everywhere, smoky fires going, trash bags, ugh.

Anxious to get back to Maui and further enjoy Haleakala, like spend many days in the crater.

Postby screeman57 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 am

climbing_rob wrote: "My God, its full of stars". Bonus points for whoever recognizes that movie quote.

2001, A Space Odyssey?
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am

screeman57 wrote:
climbing_rob wrote: "My God, its full of stars". Bonus points for whoever recognizes that movie quote.

2001, A Space Odyssey?
Yep, congrats, especially if you're younger than about 50!

Postby jblyth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:23 am

climbing_rob wrote:We also greatly enjoyed the Napali coast trail, but in recent years the far end of the trail has become a Kauai homeless neo-hippie hangout, and this has degraded the quality of this experience, IMHO. Tarps everywhere, smoky fires going, trash bags, ugh.

About halfway through the trail last year we came across a butt naked man who said "welcome to the garden of Eden." That was our first of many interesting encounters over the next few days. That being said, it was a pretty awesome place and I hope to go back someday.

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 am

Go out of your way to get the wagyu burger at the Island Grill in Waimea (big island).

That is all.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 am

jblyth17 wrote: About halfway through the trail last year we came across a butt naked man who said "welcome to the garden of Eden." That was our first of many interesting encounters over the next few days. That being said, it was a pretty awesome place and I hope to go back someday.
that's funny, we had the same kind of encounter; at about mile 10 (of 11.5) a fat, nearly naked lady, huge boobs hanging down to her knees, walked over to us and said "Welcome Home....". I still haven';t gotten over that sight.

But I agree; that Napali coast hike is absolutely spectacular, and should not be missed. I've done it three times now.

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 am

jblyth17 wrote:We really enjoyed Kauai and the kalalau trail was incredible; try to spend at least two nights (more if possible). It's not a peak, but some of the best scenery in the entire world. Have fun!

I agree. The Napali Coast was definitely a highlight for me!

Postby Kitten » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 pm

jblyth17 wrote:We really enjoyed Kauai and the kalalau trail was incredible; try to spend at least two nights (more if possible). It's not a peak, but some of the best scenery in the entire world. Have fun!

I have had this one on my list for a while, what's the best season to do it?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Next