Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby Mindy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:52 am

I will be enjoying Halloween with my family, but I hope you all have a fun and safe climb!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:...I'm definitely in again...I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere...

Jeff, great point. I had assumed everyone would know this is for the standard route, but I failed to put that in the announcement. So if you are new to all this, please look at the East Ridge (Standard Route) in the online 14ers guidebook on this site. This is the route we'll be taking.

http://14ers.com/routemain.php?route=quan1&peak=Quandary+Peak

Thanks, Jeff.

Postby matthewbe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Count me in on this for sure!!!
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com

Postby I Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:...I'm definitely in again...I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere...

Jeff, great point. I had assumed everyone would know this is for the standard route, but I failed to put that in the announcement. So if you are new to all this, please look at the East Ridge (Standard Route) in the online 14ers guidebook on this site. This is the route we'll be taking.

http://14ers.com/routemain.php?route=quan1&peak=Quandary+Peak

Thanks, Jeff.

Bah Humbug - Just e-mailed you Jim.

I have no self control so I will just see you on the summit :roll:
Last edited by I Man on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 pm

damn, i vote for a date change! i'm heading out to Kansas that weekend to visit my cousins and get ridiculously drunk at a K State game. They've been begging me to do this for years. I already have my purple body paint purchased. I'll start a bar fight in the name of altitude vs. flatlanders in everyone's honor!

Postby rking007 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm in like Flynn!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Bean » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm

I hope to make this one.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I learned the basics of winter mountaineering on a similar hike (January Quandary IV), and I had a lot of fun returning the favor at last year's Winter Welcomer. I'm definitely in again. Especially since I missed the Fall Gathering...

I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere. In fact, if anyone wants to hike in a short ways Friday night and go over the basics of snow camping, I might just hate myself enough to be talked into it.

If I'm home (work schedule unknown) I'd be up for snow camping. I've been trying to talk Alicia into going somewhere and building a snow cave for a night just for practice purposes. Are you talking tenting or snow caving? My three season tent will still work since it's technically fall right? :)
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Cookiehiker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I'll be there...with cookies again for all!!
Jim, thanks again for setting this all up again!

Postby Sugar Madison » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Put me down as interested.

Ruptured a disc (and herniated two others) in my back a few weeks ago. Unsure if I'll be out running/climbing/hiking by that time. We'll see... if so, may be a good mellow day to get back out on my feet.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

jmc5040 wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:I learned the basics of winter mountaineering on a similar hike (January Quandary IV), and I had a lot of fun returning the favor at last year's Winter Welcomer. I'm definitely in again. Especially since I missed the Fall Gathering...

I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere. In fact, if anyone wants to hike in a short ways Friday night and go over the basics of snow camping, I might just hate myself enough to be talked into it.

If I'm home (work schedule unknown) I'd be up for snow camping. I've been trying to talk Alicia into going somewhere and building a snow cave for a night just for practice purposes. Are you talking tenting or snow caving? My three season tent will still work since it's technically fall right? :)

I was planning on tent camping. I'd think a three-season tent would work with a warm bag, or you can rent a four-season from REI. I could also probably get my hands on an extra three-person, four-season for free.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I think I'll take you up on that. I generally know what I'm doing, just need to find fellow gluttons for punishment :-)

If there's enough snow to make a snow cave, I'd be happy to make an attempt at building one, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

PreviousNext