Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:58 pm

jblyth17 wrote:I use the FA Mountain Guide Jacket, but I think it's discontinued now.

This is what I use too. Very functional jacket. Blocks the wind well, but I have not been able to steam it up, which is telling because I am usually wearing it just on the summit ridges or just before, where I am climbing hard.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

lindazco wrote:
MountainHiker wrote:It sounds like an enthusiastic bunch will be heading up tomorrow to brave the elements. Stay safe.

The poll is running about 50 – 50 which means there are also plenty who want to hike tomorrow but not in those conditions. MountainHikerette & I are leaning toward S Boulder & Bear or maybe Green from NCAR. I don’t want to hijack this thread or pull people away from the WW so if there’s interest I can start another thread.

We’ll also watch the weather for next Saturday on Quandary.

Please keep folks posted if you are going up next weekend. I may change my mind and go tomorrow if the weather improves (wind forecasts are down a teeny bit today). I'll be up in the mountains already tonight. I'll be at the TH at 8 if I'm going. All the rest of you - have fun, stay safe and warm! Hope to meet some of you soon.

The weather is looking good for this Saturday (so far!). So Dorthe & I are planning on doing Quandary a week late. We could call it the "Missed the Winter Welcomer!"
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm

dswink wrote:
mtree wrote:I have no idea if my jacket is a hard shell or soft shell. What's the difference?

Just post that your (brand/model) jacket is a softshell. If Bean does not contradict you within 5 minutes, you are good to go. :lol:

:-D

I know the type of jacket as I had one some number of years back. It's a "3-in-1" jacket, at least that's what Columbia calls it - fleece that zips in to a shell. It's ok for inbounds skiing but as we all know, fleece is an efficient layering system for going to the mall. The 3-in-1 style is not great for going up mountains, the heat/sweat overload is very much an issue.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

mtree wrote:Maybe I should have slowed down. I was probably climbing from 12,000 - 13,000ft a bit faster than I should have causing me to overheat.
Negative, Captain. :-D

I love ripping through the 12s and 13s and have found that with the right stuff, there is no significantly wet underlayers and no wind chilling as a result. It has ceased to be a problem with the correct gear.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby mtree » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
My jacket is by "Weatherproof". All layers and insulation are 100% poly. From the looks of their website, they don't seem to be a hard weather outdoor clothing company, but seem to have quality stuff. This jacket worked well with minimal underlayers (late spring/early fall). Perhaps it was the wool sweater that was the problem. I'll make an adjustment and give it one more try. If it fails I'll be shopping for alternatives.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

mtree wrote:Thanks to all for the suggestions.
My jacket is by "Weatherproof". All layers and insulation are 100% poly. From the looks of their website, they don't seem to be a hard weather outdoor clothing company, but seem to have quality stuff. This jacket worked well with minimal underlayers (late spring/early fall). Perhaps it was the wool sweater that was the problem. I'll make an adjustment and give it one more try. If it fails I'll be shopping for alternatives.

Is the jacket material coated? Might be hard to tell since the coating, normally on the inside, may not be visible due to inside layers being sewn to it. If it's urethane coated, the problem is likely there.

Wool is not the greatest underlayer to stay dry, but doesn't seem like it would cause the entire problem.

Postby mtree » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 pm

No urethane or any coating listed. Just all poly. As I mentioned, it works GREAT without alot of underlayers. Snug, but not tight fitting. It does breathe. We shall see how it functions without a wool underlayer.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 am

soooooo, who is in charge of the 5th annual?

thinking wifey and I might make a getaway that weekend and let her tic off her first 14er in style...

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 am

Dark Helmet wrote:soooooo, who is in charge of the 5th annual?

Not it! But it seems like it might fall on 10/26 this year, possibly 11/2.

Postby Dark Helmet » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm

I'd vote 10/26...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:34 pm

This year I'd like to call it something like the Fifth Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial 14ers Winter Welcomer.

Steve was all about winter. He's the guy whose generosity in taking us up Quandary that early November day in 2009, kicked off, at least for me, the idea of a Winter Welcomer. All about giving back and introducing others to the concept that 14ers can be done during snow season. Steve also loved our 14ers.com community. While he was a member of other related communities, I believe in my heart that we were his number one home, and the place he would always come back to.

So yes, let's celebrate Steve's life, his mentoring, his accomplishments, and his love for the 14ers.com community, with another Winter Welcomer this year.

I thought about having it on a different peak this year. But since the last four have been on Quandary, around Halloween, perhaps we should continue the tradition.

All input welcome.

BTW - last year's conditions were particularly brutal. Let's keep an eye on the weather as things get close. For the other three years, we had great weather - even with some fringe benefits two years ago. Let's hope for that. [-o< =D>

Postby rking007 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:41 pm

I think keeping it to Quandary is a great idea for the sake of tradition. Looking forward to honoring Steve this year and all he did for this community.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

PreviousNext