Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Culebra Winter Hike

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Culebra Winter Hike

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am

Howdy,

Culebra is on my to-do list this winter. Normally I wouldn't bore you with this or discuss so far out, but obviously this particular trip takes a little advanced planning. Has anyone on the forum contacted Cielo Vista Ranch about a winter date? If so, I would like to join in the planning and hike, if you don't mind. I have plenty of winter experience. If not, I am happy to spearhead the endeavor if we want to do a 14ers.com Culebra winter trip. Please let me know either way -- I am happy to work on this. Thanks!

Neil

PS -- I would also appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience working with Cielo Vista on winter trip planning and logistics.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Re: Culebra Winter Hike

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this because I really want to do Culebra in winter. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 am

I'd be up for this. I've been resisting paying to summit a peak, but realized that I'll eventually do it anyways and that I'd rather pay to do it in winter than summer. Much more interesting that way. I'll want to add on Red Mtn too. 8)
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby I Man » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 am

geojed wrote:I'd be up for this. I've been resisting paying to summit a peak, but realized that I'll eventually do it anyways and that I'd rather pay to do it in winter than summer. Much more interesting that way. I'll want to add on Red Peak too. 8)

I am interested in this, too. Red is "free" with the the winter fee of $200 if you make their cutoff time.

Thanks for posting. Hope to see you all on a random Saturday in February.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby nkan02 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 am

I want to ski it, so an early-mid March date would be my preference.

Edited on 01.22.13: Skiable conditions are not expected for Feb 2/3 weekend, so I am out.
Last edited by nkan02 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 am

SilverLynx wrote:I just wanted to say thank you for posting this because I really want to do Culebra in winter. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

You're welcome! I figured I wasn't the only one to be thinking about this already, but you never know. Should be fun!

anna wrote:Culebra is also on my winter wish list and I'd planned on contacting in December to arrange for an early February date, possibly the weekend of Feb 2-3, which would be early enough in the winter to arrange an alternate date should the weather tank.

Anna, sounds like we are at about the same level of planning and consideration. I too wanted a mid-winter date so an alternative could be selected if weather shuts down the first attempt.

geojed wrote:I'd be up for this. I've been resisting paying to summit a peak, but realized that I'll eventually do it anyways and that I'd rather pay to do it in winter than summer. Much more interesting that way. I'll want to add on Red Mtn too. 8)

Yeah, I'm with on the money and interest! Also, I want to add Red. No sense in paying again!

TO EVERYONE, SHOULD WE START DISCUSSING A FEBRUARY 2-3 TRIP TO CULEBRA? Anna, I don't want to hijack your dates if you don't want a group hike, so let me know if you want us to shove off! However, planning, traveling, and hiking with a good crew could be of benefit. I'm excited about this!
-Driving Song

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

I Man wrote:Red is "free" with the the winter fee of $200 if you make their cutoff time

Thanks for the info I Man. VERY good to know. So, hike fast is the bottom line!

nkan02 wrote:I want to ski it, so an early-mid March date would be my preference.

I'm not as keen on the skiiing, but you make a great point. Maybe one March ski trip and one February trip. Thoughts?
-Driving Song

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

nkan02 wrote:I want to ski it, so an early-mid March date would be my preference.

Ditto
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby I Man » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:28 am

Neil wrote:TO EVERYONE, SHOULD WE START DISCUSSING A FEBRUARY 2-3 TRIP TO CULEBRA? Anna, I don't want to hijack your dates if you don't want a group hike, so let me know if you want us to shove off! However, planning, traveling, and hiking with a good crew could be of benefit. I'm excited about this!

If there is one, there will only be a single opportunity to hike Culebra this winter (unless you fancy alpine bivies in freezing temps - thanks Kiefer and Abe). Last year the ranch set a date, then postponed by 2 weeks due to weather.

That being said, a group hike is the only option. February 2-3 sounds good to me.

The Ranch will clear a path to treeline if I recall. This trip is roughly 18 miles in winter and the cutoffs are a bit tough. With a team of trail breakers though, ti can be done.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby mattb528 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

I'm interested too! I have winter 14er experience and can help plan if needed. No preference for dates as long as it's after mid-January.

Matt

Postby rjennings » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:35 am

I am definitely interested in going down this winter. If it is going to be a really long day (read: 18 miles), I think I would be more interested in skiing in March...
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 am

I Man -- thanks for the logistical info. Group hike it is. At 18 miles, I'm all for alternating trench ploughers up front. Very cool that the ranch clears the path to treeline. I've been impressed with their willingness to work with hikers.

Anna -- Sounds like a cool way to finish for your friend. And what's this...you don't want to pay $200 and walk 18 miles through deep snow on your birthday? :-D

Anyway, February 2-3 sounds good to me too, although it sounds like the ranch may unilaterally decide on another date. Why don't we get a list going? I'll update it as necessary:

1. Neil +2
2. SilverLynx
3. Anna +3
4. Geojed
5. I Man
6. Nkan02 (ski, March date)
7. Bergsteigen (ski, March date)
8. Mattb528
9. rjennings (ski, March date)