Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
User avatar
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Nidderdale, North Yorkshire

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby pvnisher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:If the nose on El Cap inspires you, climb it. Many on this site will discourage you. Pay no attention to the negative naysayers. Their horizon seems to end at Grays and Torrey's.


Aiming high, doing the prep work to get to that goal, hiring a guide, all good things. The process of preparing for a big event is very beneficial, as is having motivation.

Planning on following an unknown partner (not a guide!), in mid-winter, up a serious multiday, extremely technical climb, when your previous experience is a little top-roping, with only 7 weeks prep time... that's something else. :wft:
Please, tell me where I'm wrong.

User avatar
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm

pvnisher wrote:
Gabriel wrote:If the nose on El Cap inspires you, climb it. Many on this site will discourage you. Pay no attention to the negative naysayers. Their horizon seems to end at Grays and Torrey's.


Aiming high, doing the prep work to get to that goal, hiring a guide, all good things. The process of preparing for a big event is very beneficial, as is having motivation.

Planning on following an unknown partner (not a guide!), in mid-winter, up a serious multiday, extremely technical climb, when your previous experience is a little top-roping, with only 7 weeks prep time... that's something else. :wft:
Please, tell me where I'm wrong.


I have to agree with Punisher here, not to mention the OP doesn't clearly say "I have no idea what I am doing, will someone please drag my ass up the Holy Grail of Big Wall climbing."

He makes it sound as if he thinks it'd be a tough morning out :shock:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

User avatar
Posts: 2162
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Gabriel wrote:If the nose on El Cap inspires you, climb it. Many on this site will discourage you. Pay no attention to the negative naysayers. Their horizon seems to end at Grays and Torrey's.

Good Luck,

G


no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls. El cap would definitely be a different beast in the winter, good luck!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

User avatar
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Sure man, you can climb longs with sandals...

User avatar
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:34 pm

no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls.


Ummm....I'm pretty sure the OP is the troll here. He says "he would rather follow if it works out." How is he going to lead a climb of this magnitude when doesn't know how to lead in the first place.

Troll. :-"
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

User avatar
Posts: 2162
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:39 pm

I Man wrote:
no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls.


Ummm....I'm pretty sure the OP is the troll here. He says "he would rather follow if it works out." How is he going to lead a climb of this magnitude when doesn't know how to lead in the first place.

Troll. :-"


did you private message him or do you make assumptions about everybody and their endeavors since you're obviously the #1 authority regarding El cap right? :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

User avatar
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: waiting to see if my doom is impending

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

ajkagy wrote:no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls.


You are so right! He should just contact 55mountains, who should be about done now setting the new 14ers record. These two optimists can team up!

Sweet.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33284
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

User avatar
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 pm

DeucesWild wrote:He should just contact 55mountains, who should be about done now setting the new 14ers record. These two optimists can team up!


55mountains wrote: I am not a mountaineer, trail or ultra runner. I haven't climbed any of the 14ers and don't know what I am doing. I am going to break CaveDog's record this summer.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

User avatar
Posts: 2162
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:15 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
ajkagy wrote:no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls.


You are so right! He should just contact 55mountains, who should be about done now setting the new 14ers record. These two optimists can team up!

Sweet.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33284


I find that encouragement and direction work better than the "self righteous, look how experienced i am therefore I can belittle and criticize the OP" attitude even if the OP's post is ignorant but sincere which obviously it is. The latter just makes one look pretty dumb.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

User avatar
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 pm

ajkagy wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:
ajkagy wrote:no joke, what is with all the hate? The guy is just asking for a partner, not an opinion from a bunch of trolls.


You are so right! He should just contact 55mountains, who should be about done now setting the new 14ers record. These two optimists can team up!

Sweet.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33284


I find that encouragement and direction work better than the "self righteous, look how experienced i am therefore I can belittle and criticize the OP" attitude even if the OP's post is ignorant but sincere which obviously it is. The latter just makes one look pretty dumb.


There's no "look how experienced I am" going on here. I don't know the first thing about climbing the Nose...well, other than knowing that I don't know the first thing about it. :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

User avatar
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Nidderdale, North Yorkshire

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby pvnisher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm

I haven't seen any hate, although there has been some jesting.

What I have seen is a dose of realism.

For the record, I have no big wall experience, cannot climb 5.14 (a or b!), haven't bivied on a portaledge, and won't be going on the New Year's El Cap climb.

My participation in this thread is concluded unless the OP returns, which I think is very unlikely. ](*,)

User avatar
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: El Cap- Nose, Partner, January

Postby DaveSwink » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm

ajkagy wrote:I find that encouragement and direction work better than the "self righteous, look how experienced i am therefore I can belittle and criticize the OP" attitude even if the OP's post is ignorant but sincere which obviously it is. The latter just makes one look pretty dumb.


This thread is tough to interpret. I am not a fan of flaming, bashing or mean-posting at all, but I have to admit the OP is pretty far out there. I would hope the post is a troll, otherwise the ambition expressed in the face of huge ignorance is very likely to lead him to harm.

One could argue that a bit of mocking might save his life....naw, that is still weak. But someone talk him down. :-D

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AliceH, katbiette and 3 guests