Forum

Sat Hike?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat Hike?

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I'd be up for Antero, Oklahoma or I was looking at Ouray this morning in Roach's book. I'm driving a honda accord. anyone have a 4wd to make it up farther on some of these THs?

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm

14erAddict wrote:Looks like I'm doing Castle/Conundrum. If anyone wants to join, PM me :)

I am interested in these but I haven't planned it all out yet so I'm not sure if I can go at this point. Were you planning on a Friday drive over there and a Saturday hike? Any idea what conditions are like? Weather looks good.

Postby zerosignal28 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 pm

I have a 4runner, or a Subaru STi if you wanna get there faster!

Postby denvermikey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:The globreal (Britt) and myself are considering going for Sawatch centennial 13er Oklahoma on Saturday 11/24.

Would you guys mind a pokey tagalong again? Enjoyed our last outing and Oklahoma is on my list as well. Also, my truck may be able to get us a bit further up the road.

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby RyGuy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 pm

denvermikey wrote:
Brian Thomas wrote:The globreal (Britt) and myself are considering going for Sawatch centennial 13er Oklahoma on Saturday 11/24.

Would you guys mind a pokey tagalong again? Enjoyed our last outing and Oklahoma is on my list as well. Also, my truck may be able to get us a bit further up the road.

-Mike

Heya Mike!

Certainly. I am going up Friday night to car camp at the trailhead for Mount Elbert. We are meeting up there at 6:30AM, and then driving up to the SW Massive trailhead. Should be fun getting another centennial, and that valley is just gorgeous.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:15 am

Ryan and Mike-

Britt is aiming for a 7am meet time, he will be coming in a 2WD vehicle. Can we agree on a 2WD accessible meetup location like the Mt Massive TH:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=sw04

Conditions update as of 11/21:

"Washboard road has little to no snow and TH is snow-free."
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby denvermikey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:32 am

Sounds great. I will plan on being at the Mt Massive TH (N Halfmoon Creek) at 7. We can pile into my truck to drive the extra 0.5 mi.

Pretty excited... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOeZnfUuIY

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby sevenvii » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:12 am

I would be interested in Oklahoma as well if there is still room, or I might plop down to Wesrcliffe area?

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:23 am

sevenvii wrote:I would be interested in Oklahoma as well if there is still room

We should have at least two vehicles with 4WD/AWD to caravan to the upper TH if needed. As of now it's myself, Britt + 1, Ryan, Mike going for Oklahoma.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby fepic1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:30 am

Hey you all:) Just spoke with Britt . I will drive to the TH late tonight and be ready for an Alpine start.
I have a shiny white 4x4 PU We can pile into for the last bit to the upper TH
I can't wait !
John

Postby globreal » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:13 pm

For the Oklahoma climb tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 24) let's clarify a few things:

Several people are camping tonight at the North Elbert TH. This is the parking lot on your left/south side of Halfmoon Creek Rd/CO 11, and is approximately 7.5 to 8 miles after you turn off of Hwy 24. Those who I've been told are camping here is: ACERyGuy007, Brian Thomas, fepic1.

Me & queza plan to meet those camping at this location in the morning at 6:30am where we can all pile into the capable 4x4's. NOTE: I believe there was a post saying to meet at the Mt. Massive TH which is on the right/north side of the road. Instead, let's all meet at the North Elbert TH on the left/south side.

At 6:30am, we will then drive up to the N. Halfmoon Creek TH which is the same parking area for climbing Mt. Massive's Southwest slopes. This is a little over 10 miles after turning off of Hwy 24 and is at 10,500 feet.

The aim is for a 7am hiking time, heading north up the North Halfmoon Creek drainage for Oklahoma.

It looks like there could be a half dozen of us or more. Should be quite the social gathering! See you in the morning.
Last edited by globreal on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
1 Peter 1:3-4

Postby RyGuy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey Fepic,

Sounds good. I will probably get to the Mount Elbert trailhead parking lot around 8:30PM-9PM or so tonight in my 2002 Grey Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just going to car camp it.

Should be a stellar day, and great group. I am planning to bring my MSR reactor stove to the summit as usual, so if you bring something that just needs hot water, it makes for a great summit lunch/drink. (I usually bring a Mountain house and some good strong English tea)

It sounds like Britt is aiming for a 6:30AM time after chatting with him last night, although Brian said 7:00AM above. I am going to aim to be ready by 6:30 though.

Either way, we are meeting at Mount Elbert trailhead and then taking the 4WD cars up to the SW Massive trailhead to start.

Looking forward to it!

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

PreviousNext