Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Greys w or w/o Torreys on Thursday

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Greys w or w/o Torreys on Thursday

Postby Endeavor54 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm

I need some alti. I do not know the road conditions to the TH but the weather looks good. Sunny, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a west wind 14 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. I have an Xterra 4x4 so I am pretty sure we can get to the trailhead if not really close. I was thinking about leaving the Woolly Mammoth at 5:30 Anyone want to skip the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and go?

Gear: Crampons, ice axe, gaiters. Not sure there is enough snow to warrant snow shoes.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Re: Greys w or w/o Torreys on Thursday

Postby kimo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Was up there Sunday the 18th during mild snow flurries. Easily reached summer TH in Subie Forester. Should have no problem in X. Snow shoes and crampons not needed. Gaiters and microspikes were nice to have but not required. Axe would have been nice for peace of mind when crossing the loaded slope leaving the GT saddle. Here are some pics. Conditions now should be similar.

Ascending Grays, Kelso Mountain in distance.
DSCN2119.JPG
DSCN2119.JPG (235.75 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Near summit of Torreys looking back at Grays.
DSCN2166.JPG
DSCN2166.JPG (198.24 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Descending from GT saddle.
DSCN2178.JPG
DSCN2178.JPG (115.35 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Have fun and good luck.

Postby Endeavor54 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Kimo... Should be a fun day.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Postby AOSLETTO » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm

I am in!! My buddy bailed last minute!
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Postby mtree » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I will be there as well. Not super early, but I'll be there. Looks like a fine day to skip TV parades! With luck, I'll be boots on trail by 9...maybe 830.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby MuchosPixels » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 am

Nice pics! Looks more like early october than late november.

Postby mtree » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm

It was a fine hike on an absolutely fine day! Sunny, cool, a bit blustery with sustained winds on the ridge/summit around 20 mph gusting to 30-40. No biggy. ThaNKs to ALL who helped with my layering system!!! It was a smashing success today! No natural fibers and I used my snowboard jacket as a "soft shell" which was a tremendous boost! All good.

As for conditions, I did the hike in summer hiking boots. No poles, spikes, or anything special. There are icy spots, but the snow is compacted and easily navigated with good gription boots. Never slipped or fell. Others - and there were ONLY 6 other vehicles at the trailhead - did use spikes. They might speed your ascent and descent, but I never dolled myself up with those shiney wiggimattics. Enjoy while you can!

Road conditions: Better have 4wd or good tires to reach trailhead. Compacted snow melting into ice. But clearance is not an issue. Allen - glad I could assist. Hope you had an AWESOME time!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody