Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat 12-1: Hope Mtn, Ervin, Blaurock, Rinker

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sat 12-1: Hope Mtn, Ervin, Blaurock, Rinker

Postby geojed » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Anyone interested in some ridge exploration this Saturday?

Looking to climb: Hope Mtn A (Cent), Ervin, Blaurock (bi-cent), Rinker Peak this Saturday in a ridge traverse around Big Willis Gulch from the Willis Gulch TH. ~15mi and ~6800ft elev gain.

Section of ridge from Hope - Ervin Peak is unknown (only pics from Ervin and Hope, no descriptions or TR's) and may present challenges.

Will climb Hope Mtn A first to get the Cent in case of getting turned back. If turned back then will grab Quail Mtn as consolation.

PM/Reply if interested.
Attachments
Big Willis Style.jpg
Big Willis Style.jpg (331.31 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Last edited by geojed on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: Sat 12-1: Big Willis Gulch Peaks

Postby Jeff Kunkle » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Hope to Ervin "goes". Here's what I had in my notes from June 2006 doing the loop from Sheep Gulch TH..... "After Quail and Hope we followed a mining trail and soon came across loose talus that we were jumping and sliding around. Similar to the Bells Traverse in spots, and after plenty of sliding and clawing away, we were on the small summit of Point 13,642. This was turning into quite a bit of fun!!! From Hope we couldn't see the ridge to the recently named Ervin Peak, but now we could and it looked the same between Hope and 13,642 with just a couple crux areas. Let's go for it! We started picking our way down having to use our hands quite a bit. Came across one area that Denali couldn't link together so we did a "dog over shoulder" move that got him down. This ridge just kept getting cooler and cooler!!! Towards the end there were some big blocky areas that were a bit unsettled, but with some careful moves (and one serious bruise for Steve) we were close to the summit of Ervin. The north side of the ridge was a BIG drop so we stayed a bit south and post holed through some snow jumping between rocks. To our surprise there were only 4 names in the register since 6/03!!! It was still a beautiful warm day out and we relished our awesome ridge run."
Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells, "CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper, "can." And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.

Postby geojed » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm

A BIG thanks for that beta Jeff. =D> =D>

I can see that mining trail in google maps satellite view! A month ago I posted here to see if anyone had any beta but got no response. Do you have any pics taken along that ridge?

Pics taken of that ridge taken from Hope and Ervin have gotten me excited for the traverse and your description has elevated it even more!

I seriously owe you one!

Postby Jeff Kunkle » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 pm

These should whet your whistle.....

Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells, "CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper, "can." And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are.

Postby geojed » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Those are great pics Jeff. Are those two pinnacles on 13642 much of an obstacle?
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe

Re: Sat 12-1: Hope Mtn, Ervin, Blaurock, Rinker

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 am

Say hello to the NE Ridge of Rinker for me :wink:
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 am

Matt Lemke wrote:Say hello to the NE Ridge of Rinker for me :wink:

Want me piss on it for you Matt? :-D

Postby Jeff Kunkle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

geojed wrote:Are those two pinnacles on 13642 much of an obstacle?

I seem to remember we went around the lower and scratched our way up the higher.
I'm psyched to see a TR and new pics of the ridge! Best of luck!!

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

geojed wrote:
Matt Lemke wrote:Say hello to the NE Ridge of Rinker for me :wink:

Want me piss on it for you Matt? :-D

Ah, that would be nice :-D
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"