Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

JANUARY QUANDARY VI

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: JANUARY QUANDARY VI

Postby kushrocks » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Yoric wrote:I've done a bit of searching but can't find if car camping at the TH is allowed. Anyone have an answer for me?

Thanks!

Not sure if its allowed but I have defineatly done it before . . . .twice actually with two cars each time. We had a big fire going and everything and no one said a word to us. That was my plan if I end up going. Not sure how well that will work out if there are 20+ people have the same idea.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Scott P » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm

If I remember right, in winter, I think you start near a bunch of private cabins. Don't quote me on this (I haven't been in seven years), but I don't think you can camp there (in winter).
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby my5sons » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Count me in hopefully make to the summit this year!

Postby rking007 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Looks like I'm going! Woot!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby SherpaSara » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I was there last week...the signs at the TH say that you cannot camp there. Another hiker and I camped along Fourmile Creek (since we'd just done Sherman) and then made the drive to Quandary in the morning.

Postby my5sons » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Snowshoes?

Postby SherpaSara » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 pm

I wore micro-spikes, which worked out awesome. Snowshoes would be overkill since the trail is well packed the entire way. It would have been do-able without traction, but not as enjoyable, especially on the way down. You have to take care with foot placements if you aren't using some type of traction.

Sara

Postby Cookiehiker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am

LuLuLuv wrote:Sounds fun and since I missed the halloween hike I might just dress up.

Do it, Jen!! I may just have join you in that! And COOKIES and cocoa (well, cookies at least) will be there!! :-D

Postby Scott P » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't want to take away from this thread/trip, but if anyone is looking for a place to camp, some of us (at summitpost) are doing Sherman the same weekend (had I known about this gathering I wouldn't have planned the same date) if anyone wants to drop by and say hi. Anyone could join our group to camp.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=63758

Some people are also doing some peaks on Sunday.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby rking007 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Are we all wearing name tags? I can bring some extra stickers if needed.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby dcbates80911 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:18 pm

I am on the fence. Although I really want to get out and enjoyed the outing in October 2011 and 2012, this year has been extremely busy to date so I may have to resort to an early start and say "HI" on the way down. We will see. Right now, the weather looks like it will be good. Much better than the winter welcomer in October.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby rking007 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

dcbates80911 wrote:I am on the fence. Although I really want to get out and enjoyed the outing in October 2011 and 2012, this year has been extremely busy to date so I may have to resort to an early start and say "HI" on the way down. We will see. Right now, the weather looks like it will be good. Much better than the winter welcomer in October.

Truth be told, I'm a little bummed about that. I was so looking forward to that trip in October and wanted to really test myself in that kind of weather but had to bail. Iwas hoping that this Saturday would be the same but...

Regardless, I'm just happy to FINALLY get to meet some of you all!

PreviousNext