Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Postby Derek » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:I would be interested in this outing to take a shot
at unranked 11er the Catamount, although it would be
interesting with snow. Tarryall and Lake Park are cool
peaks!

That was quietly a goal in my mind too, Kevin. I'd be willing to give it a shot with you.

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Thread bump.

Also planning to go up Bison Peak (location of the 2012 LCW Gathering II) on Saturday 2/2, which will be a good preview of conditions for the Lake Park Peak area the following weekend.

Prepared and punctual participants are welcome to join for that too, please post or pm if interested.

http://www.meetup.com/CO-Scramblers/events/97909692/

http://www.summitpost.org/bison-peak/151572
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Dank » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm interested in going and so far it works with my schedule. I've been to LCW twice...never in winter though. Sounds fun :-D

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 am

Just a conditions update for y'all... Sharon and I did two days up near Lake Park this last weekend... SPECTACULAR... anyway, we did not bring snowshoes and did not need them, however, microspikes came in handy to save hiking energy in some places, if you follow. Of course, your trip is over two weeks away so conditions will probably change.

We hiked in to just below Lake Park peak, dropped our packs and summitted, then found a really cool campsite just below the summit to the south, on a saddle that happens to be oriented just so to catch both the setting sun and the rising sun the next morning. The sun will rise a bit left (north) of Pikes Peaks from this vantage. So if you value the morning sun when camping in the winter (we sure do!), find a place that has a good view of the terrain north of Pikes.

Have fun! Catamount is a TON of fun, and a bit of a routefinding challenge. When I climbed this maybe 8 years ago now, there were only a couple dozen names on the summit register that went back into the 80's. Mike Garret's name was on there a bunch of times, and Ddog's twice (right?).

Postby globreal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 am

I've got this down on the calendar and am hoping to make it for Saturday's 4 mile backpack in and overnight....and of course the climb on Sunday.

Anyone coming from the Colorado Springs area who would be interested in carpooling/splitting gas?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby vonmackle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm planning on doing the overnight unless the weather gets nasty. Lookng forward to it.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 pm

anna wrote:I'm curious to hear from this weekend's Bison group how much snow is in the area...

conditions

Postby jeremy27 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 pm

I'd like to join this little expedition if someone has room in their tent or is willing to help me carry a REI rental. I promise not to write an article for Outside after.

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Hello LCW'ers. The itinerary I am considering for this trip is as follows:

Backpack in from Spruce Grove TH to Hankins Pass on Saturday, set up camp, gather firewood, then attempt the Catamount 11,695'. Then Sunday go up South Tarryall Peak 11,206' early, return to camp, meet up with any daytrippers coming in, and go up Lake Park Peak 11,403'. Start time for Saturday and daytrippers recommended start time for Sunday to be determined.

After how dry it was on Bison Peak yesterday, this is very encouraging for an attempt on the Catamount.

catamount.jpg
catamount.jpg (267.88 KiB) Viewed 186 times

catamount-route.jpg
catamount-route.jpg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 186 times

catamount-map.JPG
catamount-map.JPG (235.93 KiB) Viewed 186 times

http://www.summitpost.org/un11-695-the-catamount/151641
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Derek » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Brian,
What time you planning to start out Saturday? Those plans sound good, I would really like to head to Catamount. I'd probably pass on South Tarryall, instead check out some formations that will be close to camp. (labeled Sharkfin and Lynx on your map.

Whoops. Edit. Just saw Hankins as the planned campsite. Maybe I would join for S Tarry...we'll see.

A shorter backpack = more beverages. That'll work.

--D

*edit #2: no snowshoes for the LCW in February? Crazy! Not gonna complain.

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Derek wrote:What time you planning to start out Saturday?

That's what I wanted to ask you about. I don't want to start super early if we don't have to. But since there's been additional interest in the overnight expressed, and Britt wants to know about start time since he's coming from the Springs, let's pick a start time for Saturday and coordinate carpools.

Derek, could you please post some stats on distance and elevation gain from Spruce Grove to Hankins Pass? I was thinking to suggest for the daytrippers to aim for Hankins Pass around 10-10:30 Sunday so they won't have to leave super early either.

Postby Derek » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Derek, could you please post some stats on distance and elevation gain from Spruce Grove to Hankins Pass?

Certainly.

Spruce Grove to Hankins Pass:
4.25 Miles
1,500' Elevation
Track/Map:
Profile:

Hankins Pass to Lake Park Peak:
2.10 Miles
1,325' Elevation
Track/Map:
Profile:

Total Roundtrip: