Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Postby jswiftcervelo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

Yeah - you make a good point... trailhead access could be pretty iffy - we'll see - Hopefully it will work out.

If it doesn't, Yale is good... Avalanche Gulch and Denny Creek are both on a paved road. There are also several easy access peaks in the Sawatch, Front and Tenmile/Mosquito... We'll see.
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby I Man » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am

jswiftcervelo wrote:If it doesn't, Yale is good... Avalanche Gulch and Denny Creek are both on a paved road.

Hwy 82 is closed a few miles before the Denny Creek Closure. Avalanche Gulch is the Standard Winter Route on Yale, and it is a fun route at that!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby geojed » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 am

I Man wrote:Hwy 82 is closed a few miles before the Denny Creek Closure. Avalanche Gulch is the Standard Winter Route on Yale, and it is a fun route at that!

This Peak Conditions report from last weekend says it is plowed to Denny Creek. http://14ers.com//php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=2016

Avalanche Gulch and the East Ridge is a fun route too.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby I Man » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am

geojed wrote:
I Man wrote:Hwy 82 is closed a few miles before the Denny Creek Closure. Avalanche Gulch is the Standard Winter Route on Yale, and it is a fun route at that!

This Peak Conditions report from last weekend says it is plowed to Denny Creek. http://14ers.com//php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=2016

Doh ](*,) Guess it helps to check specific conditions for the year :oops:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby geojed » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 am

May be a moot point after the storm though.

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Yale is fine with me. I've only been up the standard route so I'd do the East Ridge.

However, I'm in limbo. I went for a run after work tonight around Cheeseman and City Park and one block from my house I tripped going down a curb and my right ankle is about triple the normal size. I can put weight on it so I know it's not broken, but it's swollen as hell. I'd really love to climb this weekend as this might be my only chance at a winter summit this year. Ahhh!!!!! freakin' life!

Postby DrFunk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. But I decided the weather is a little too sketchy for me. Maybe next time. Have fun though.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Hey I'm going to have to bail on this one.

Nothing to do with weather or anything - a family friend was involved in a rollover accident and he may lose his ability to walk.

Please pray for Dane - currently in critical condition.

In Christ

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 pm

ah man....sorry to hear that....hope he's ok.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey thanks - We'll know more tomorrow. He's in surgery for at least 10 hours tonight and possibly more... I'll post tomorrow.

Postby shearmodulus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 am

I'll be on Yale Saturday. Haven't decided the route. I'm looking forward to some weather that I can break in my Spantiks with and not have my feet sweat off....
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby B[3] » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

forbins_mtn wrote:one block from my house I tripped going down a curb and my right ankle is about triple the normal size. I can put weight on it so I know it's not broken, but it's swollen as hell.

Although I'm leery of dispensing medical advice on the internet, in this instance I feel compelled to say something as I too used to believe this was the case. However, I learned the hard way that not only can you put weight on a broken ankle but you can also trail hike, rock climb and rappel on a broken ankle (all quite painful but possible). You might just want to have your ankle checked out by a doctor.

Josh: sending positive thoughts towards your friend on his recovery.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

PreviousNext