Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am

B[3] wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:one block from my house I tripped going down a curb and my right ankle is about triple the normal size. I can put weight on it so I know it's not broken, but it's swollen as hell.

Although I'm leery of dispensing medical advice on the internet, in this instance I feel compelled to say something as I too used to believe this was the case. However, I learned the hard way that not only can you put weight on a broken ankle but you can also trail hike, rock climb and rappel on a broken ankle (all quite painful but possible). You might just want to have your ankle checked out by a doctor.

Josh: sending positive thoughts towards your friend on his recovery.

Yeah, go get it checked out man. When I broke my foot I didn't realize it until six months later, and the awkward healing led to nerve damage that took another six months to treat. Now the area between my fourth and fifth toes on my right foot is completely without feeling. All because I was too lazy/macho/stupid to take an hour to go to the doctor and get an X-ray.

Thoughts with Josh and his friend.

Leaning toward drinking beer and cheering against John Fox tomorrow, but we'll see if I muster the will for Yale.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am

B[3] wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:one block from my house I tripped going down a curb and my right ankle is about triple the normal size. I can put weight on it so I know it's not broken, but it's swollen as hell.

Although I'm leery of dispensing medical advice on the internet, in this instance I feel compelled to say something as I too used to believe this was the case. However, I learned the hard way that not only can you put weight on a broken ankle but you can also trail hike, rock climb and rappel on a broken ankle (all quite painful but possible). You might just want to have your ankle checked out by a doctor.

Josh: sending positive thoughts towards your friend on his recovery.

I had a subluxation of the left ankle, a vertical hairline fracture in my tibia just above the ankle, and didn't know about it for two weeks, just knew it was swollen as all hell and I couldn't flex at all without screaming. I walked to school every day on it; ended up so bad I was in a cast for 4 months and killed my hopes for a minor league basketball career. It's never not worth getting it looked at - even for peace of mind.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Best news - surgeon said he's never seen anyone recover so well from thistype of injury - he flat out called it a miracle (surgeons don't have that habit) - so far so good.

:-D
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm

jswiftcervelo wrote:Best news - surgeon said he's never seen anyone recover so well from thistype of injury - he flat out called it a miracle (surgeons don't have that habit) - so far so good.

That's great news! I've been lucky to walk away from 2 rollover accidents at high speeds. The emotional trauma lasts for a long long time, so take good care of your friend. I still get into panic attacks wen I see ice while driving, and it's been over a year now.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 pm

jswiftcervelo wrote:Best news - surgeon said he's never seen anyone recover so well from thistype of injury - he flat out called it a miracle (surgeons don't have that habit) - so far so good.

hell yeah! way to be docs! i'm so sorry we couldn't get out this weekend.....this is what i'm dealing with:

Good ankle

Bad ankle:

I'm not going hiking. I'm taking the weekend completely and seeing if the swelling does down. I'll make the doctor/sports therapist call on Monday

Son of a!

Postby BKS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm out given the weather - its a ski day for me.

Previous