Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Partners for Pikes Peak - Barr trail

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Partners for Pikes Peak - Barr trail

Postby randalmartin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

My employer informed us during the holiday that everyone will be required to take at least 2 weeks of vacation between January 1-March 31. So with that mandate, it looks like I will be doing some more midweek winter stuff that I don't typically get to do.

I am looking for anyone that would be interested in going up Pikes Peak via Barr trail. To make it work you would need to be available for a mid-week (or possibly weekend if the weather suggests) departure on relatively short notice. I am going to look for a good weather window from a wind standpoint here http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/scripts/pfm.php?location=PIKES%20PEAK
Plan would be to hike to Barr Camp and spend the night at the Main Cabin, summit and return all the way the next day.

Re: Partners for Pikes Peak - Barr trail

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm

I might be down for a trip like that, I usually have a few days off during the week here and there. Might I suggest hiking up to the A frame shelter on the first day though? it makes the second day a bit shorter and the sunrise views from your sleeping bag are fantastic.

Postby shearmodulus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 pm

If you give me about 24 hours notice, I will be able to go. I've done the Crags TH route, but never the Barr trail. Work is really low key right now with the majority of people on our 30-day post deployment vacation, so I'm sure I can get away.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby ylingli » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Keep us posted on when you decide to go. I may join you for all or part of your hike up. I hike this frequently and just did Barr Trail to the A-frame & back a couple of days ago. Would like to summit again within the next couple of weeks........

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for the responses. I also had a call from Britt Jones (globreal) last night and he is interested as well and also suggested to go all the way to the A Frame on the first day. My only issue there is I don't have a winter sleeping bag but I think I could probably borrow one.

Will keep everyone posted by PM when we have the next weather window. Today actually would have been an awesome summit day!!

Postby mtn_nut » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

its looking like extended forecast (which is still uncertain) is looking dry next week. if you want to climb it over the weekend of the 19th and the 20th, i'd be very interested

Postby ylingli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Mtn_nut,

I've been looking at the extended forecast too, and was thinking the same thing! I'm tentatively planning on going up there on Jan 19th/20th. :-D

Ling

Postby randalmartin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm

How many people can fit in the A-Frame?

Postby ylingli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Randalmartin,

I'm actually thinking of hiking all the way to the summit on the 1st day and then back down to stay at Barr Camp, and then doing another hike on the 2nd day. If you go on the same days, then I will definitely see you somewhere on the trail.....

Ling

Postby Waggs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

randalmartin wrote:How many people can fit in the A-Frame?

If it's cold enough, all of them.

If this plays out on a weekend, I'm interested.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

randalmartin wrote:How many people can fit in the A-Frame?

I'd say 4 easily, 6 would be a squeeze but possible.

I doubt it's that much colder in the A frame than it is at barr camp, though I guess it is warmer in the cabin. I've got an old 0 degree down bag that is probably still good down to 10 or 15 degree's if you want to use it. That with a bivy or a liner would probably get you through.

Postby ylingli » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I'm hiking Pikes Peak via Barr Trail this Saturday Jan 19th. The weather is looking really good for a summit attempt! Hope to see some of you on the trail! :-D

Next