Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ouray Ice Festival

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ouray Ice Festival

Postby GregMiller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm

A buddy and I are headed out to the Ouray Ice Festival this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had any tips, or suggestions on things to do. Or, suggestions on places to stay in Ouray, this is kind of a last-minute decision so we don't have a room yet. Thanks!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Re: Ouray Ice Festival

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Don't expect to climb a lot of ice
Take full advantage of demoing gear
GO TO THE ALL YOU CAN EAT AND DRINK SOCIAL

If you can handle it, you can camp for free in a few areas around Ouray and this cuts down big time on cost...bring a warm sleeping bag 8)
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby smoove » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I Man wrote:Don't expect to climb a lot of ice

Really? I did it last year for the first time. Did a seminar the first day and a clinic the second. I definitely got as much climbing in as I wanted. Took a break just to belay every now and then.

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Hot springs! There are several in town: Box Canyon and Best Western Twin Peaks are for motel guests only, while the Wiesbaden and Ouray Hot Springs Pool are open to "day-soakers." I recommend them all :-D

They'll feel GREAT after a day of climbing... just save the beer for after your soak.

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

You may end up staying in Montrose this late in the game. It should be cheaper than anything in Ouray, though.
I took my GF to this in 2003. We made reservations in early January and ended up with only this as an option... Very cheesy, though the in-room hot tub was solid.

There's also the potential that the Adobe Inn (sort of a hostel) in Ridgway will have space. I've stayed there over New Year's Eve and was happy with it.

susanjoypaul wrote:Hot springs! There are several in town: Box Canyon and Best Western Twin Peaks are for motel guests only, while the Wiesbaden and Ouray Hot Springs Pool are open to "day-soakers." I recommend them all :-D

They'll feel GREAT after a day of climbing... just save the beer for after your soak.

The Wiesbaden is spectacular. Just don't smoke any cigarettes before you go. The owner won't let you in.
Also, you could head a few minutes up the road to the Orvis Springs a little north of town. Clothing optional, it's known for a great vibe.
You can read about these hot springs here:
Last edited by Matt on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

smoove wrote:

Really? I did it last year for the first time. Did a seminar the first day and a clinic the second. I definitely got as much climbing in as I wanted. Took a break just to belay every now and then.

We found it very hard to find a spot to climb last year, but were only there on the weekend. We went to the far end of the canyon and had a rope set up by 8am. Anyone who came after couldn't find anything.

I had read beforehand that this is an issue and I think a lot of people feel the Ice Fest is very crowded and a great place to learn but not a great place to climb, if that makes sense.

Either way, it is a wonderful experience and a world class venue for ice climbing.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby smoove » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

I Man wrote:
smoove wrote:

We found it very hard to find a spot to climb last year, but were only there on the weekend. We went to the far end of the canyon and had a rope set up by 8am. Anyone who came after couldn't find anything.

I had read beforehand that this is an issue and I think a lot of people feel the Ice Fest is very crowded and a great place to learn but not a great place to climb, if that makes sense.

Either way, it is a wonderful experience and a world class venue for ice climbing.

Well, true. You're outta luck if you set up too late. I thought you might be talking about the opportunity to climb while taking a seminar/clinic. I found that the instructors will give you a pretty quick introduction and let you start climbing--giving tips along the way. But if you're just going on your own, that would obviously not be the ideal weekend for climbing. Socializing and drinking, probably!

Susan, thanks for the hot springs tips! Didn't make it beyond the pool last time. I'm sure your book has even more suggestions! :)

Postby GregMiller » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow, thanks for all the tips! Yeah, definitely not looking to camp outside this trip, don't have the bag for it. Sad that I missed signing up for the clinics, but we'll see what we can talk our way into. Thanks!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby crestone14ers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:Hot springs! There are several in town: Box Canyon and Best Western Twin Peaks are for motel guests only, while the Wiesbaden and Ouray Hot Springs Pool are open to "day-soakers." I recommend them all :-D

Orvis Hot Springs, one mile south of Ridgway, on 550, on the west side of the road. Clothes optional ... one of the finest hot springs in all of Colorado! :wink:

http://www.orvishotsprings.com/
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby mtn_nut » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 pm

if you're there, definitely come to the events. if you can help out with the events, please use the voluteerspot link on their webpage. normally voluteers get a nice kickback at the end of the festival for helping out.

http://ourayicepark.com/ice-festival/festival-volunteers/

Postby GregMiller » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 am

Anyone here and need/want/would be willing to tolerate partners for tomorrow? Looking to try some WI 1-3, we have a rope and top rope anchors available.
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby Matt Lemke » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

You should definently hit up Rico hot springs for a real fun time :wink:
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Next