Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunshine & Redcloud 1/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sunshine & Redcloud 1/19

Postby Catalyst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 am

I'm interested in this. I've been planning to buy more winter gear over the next few months, but perhaps I'll accelerate that effort.

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm

If anyone from this thread who has already comitted to going driving through Colorado Springs PM me

Postby robco » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 pm

ameristrat wrote:would cram in a motel in Lake City Friday night

Thought I'd give a random shout out for the Raven's Rest hostel in Lake City. Very cool climber's hostel, great atmosphere, awesome caretakers, reasonably priced. Would stay there over a motel any day.

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 pm

robco wrote:
ameristrat wrote:would cram in a motel in Lake City Friday night

Thought I'd give a random shout out for the Raven's Rest hostel in Lake City. Very cool climber's hostel, great atmosphere, awesome caretakers, reasonably priced. Would stay there over a motel any day.

I agree - $25 a night. It's better than cramming.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ameristrat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I will call this morning.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am

Any beta on these peaks since the new snow last weekend? Conditions reports before the storm indicated that snowshoes and axe were completely unnecessary. Just wondering if this is still true.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

Yeah anything would be great - to avoid renting snowshoes would make me extremely happy.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am

ameristrat wrote:Yeah anything would be great - to avoid renting snowshoes would make me extremely happy.

Teddy, 32 14ers in and you are still renting equipment? You aren't cut out for this... :lol:
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 am

wildlobo71 wrote:
ameristrat wrote:Yeah anything would be great - to avoid renting snowshoes would make me extremely happy.

Teddy, 32 14ers in and you are still renting equipment? You aren't cut out for this... :lol:

Only snowshoes! I spent all of my money buying clothes because the extent of my cold weather gear coming from Florida was a sweatshirt. ](*,)
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby I Man » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

wildlobo71 wrote:

Haha he just idolizes Tony1. I can get behind that.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am

ameristrat wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:

Only snowshoes! I spent all of my money buying clothes because the extent of my cold weather gear coming from Florida was a sweatshirt. ](*,)

At the end of snowshoe season go hit REI for their used equipment - most of it's in really good shape and is sold cheap.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah, I got my snowshoes from REI in February/March 2011 at a nice discount. Right around $100 for MSR Evo Tours. Some of the smaller shops usually sell their old rentals, as well.

Now's the time to stock up on winter gear. Spring clothing lines are already coming in at most retailers and a lot of down/synthetic/fleece is marked down to clear the way.

Funny what you said about Florida, I moved here from N.C. with nothing heavier than a track jacket. Now half of my closet is dedicated to outerwear. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext