Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ideas for 1/26-1/28?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ideas for 1/26-1/28?

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 pm

My plans keep getting thwarted by crappy weather and spraining my ankle.....

My next shot is Sat Jan 26th-Mon 28th. Anyone want to start setting some tentative plans? I'm really up for anything. I'd have Sat, Sun or Mon free which gives us plenty of time to hit anything we want to

Re: Ideas for 1/26-1/28?

Postby Wookie Horn » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Hey Forbins,

Had any takers for next weekend? Like you anything involving mountains makes me happy. I am new to Colorado, but not new to climbing or 14ers/13ers. Sunday would be my preferred day, but could rearrange and do Saturday if that is better for you. Shout back if you are interested on coming up with something.

-Brian

Postby Catalyst » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 pm

I was thinking of doing Sherman, it would be my first winter 14er. I am still getting my gear together so we'll see later this week.

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm only open Sunday. Was planning either Horseshoe or James. Right now weather on James looks better although I think if weather is the same on both I'd prefer Horseshoe.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby Wookie Horn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Dave - I could be down for joining for you Horseshoe and maybe (haven't done my research) ridge running other 13ers in the Sherman group on Sunday. NOAA wind, temp and precp. doesn't seem much worse on Sunday than Saturday. Should be dry, mid 20's, with 20 mph winds and gusts in the 30's. Burr, but not really burr.

Catalyst - this might fit with your Sherman plan too???

-Brian

Postby davebobk47 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 am

Wookie- I did Sheridan this past Saturday, conditions should be good for you if you decide to tackle the other peaks there. I was actually thinking of driving to the Sherman TH and traversing over (below Sheridan) to Peerless and Horseshoe. You could probably tag Sheridan on the way or hit it on the way back to Sherman. Wind will likely be the only negative for that route. The cornice between Sherman and Sheridan is much smaller than usual (no surprise there) and can easily be avoided if you want to head all the way over to Sherman.

Microspikes are nice for the first 1/4 mile as there are ice flows on the road but you can avoid them if you don't want to carry them. Otherwise no snow gear is required for these peaks.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby Wookie Horn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Dave - thanks! all the beta sounds good. Its been said but I will say it again, these past two winters almost feel like cheating. I am hiking Yale with Lafutura on Saturday and likely will just come back to the Mosquitos and camp Saturday night for a trip up the Horse et.al. on Sunday. Happy to join on with you for some or all of what interests you. I can even offer hot coffee at my camp location! Let me know what time you are thinking about starting up.

I have to fly back to sea level on Monday for work next week :cry: so I need as much hiking this weekend to see me back to CO.

-Brian

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 am

No, I'm out. I'm king of trying to get plans together and then life gets in the way and I can't do it. I'm helping out with a theater production that involves a bunch of actors with disabilities, and my two assistants aren't up to speed yet. Therefore, I get to be at rehearsal all weekend.

Be safe, boys! Looks like next weekend is my free weekend.

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 am

Last weekend it was an hour 20 from my place to the end of the road just below the gate (summer TH). If I leave my place at 615 that gets me there about 735 which is right around sunrise. Does that work for you? Where are you planning to camp, end of the road or lower down? 4wd with clearance was nice to have to get through some of the snow drifts later on the road. If you camped lower (Leavick area) I could give you a ride to the upper TH, not sure what kind of vehicle you have. Let me know how that sounds.

Postby Wookie Horn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Dave - that works for me. I haven't decided where I will camp yet. I will in a 4x4 orange Jeep or silver Durango so I will probably drive as far as either will reasonably go. With the winds and snow kicking back up this weekend, Horseshoe and Peerless will probably be all I want for Sunday after getting out on Thursday and Saturday too. I'll have the coffee brewing and be ready to go by 730!

- Brian

Postby davebobk47 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Sounds good. I have a white Hyundai Santa Fe. I'll see you just below the gate or somewhere lower down around 730 Sunday. With those vehicles you should be able to get to the ice flow not too far below the gate.

Postby Catalyst » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Are you guys planning on going to the summit of Sherman, or just Sheridan/Horseshoe?

Next