Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale on MLK Day (1/21)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Yale on MLK Day (1/21)

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am

EDIT: Based on the early response, shifting this from Bel/Ox to Yale. I'll probably try Bel/Ox or Huron on Friday if anyone is interested in that date instead.

I'm off work for MLK Day and the weather looks too nice to stay in Denver. Anyone want to tackle the Bel/Ox combo? I could also be talked into anything that's a new winter 14er for me, but would prefer Bel/Ox while the TH (likely) remains accessible.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Re: Bel/Ox on MLK Day (1/21)

Postby nkan02 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

I am in.

Re: Yale on MLK Day (1/21)

Postby grcr0941 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:29 am

I'd be down to do Yale or Belford/Oxford on 1/21, but the combo might be a bit time crunched. I could leave Sun after around 9pm or Mon morning. I'm in Boulder and don't have a car, but could meet in Denver if I can get a ride. I'd love to get in a Winter 14er this weekend! Let me know. -Grant 6304793864

Postby jmark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:49 am

I'm interested and coming from Golden if anyone needs a ride.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 am

Might be interested...what route were you thinking of doing?
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby Lamb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm

I am interested if it is not getting too crowded. Golden is convenient for me as is Denver. I would not be able to leave until Monday morning but I can leave early and drive/meet whereever /pitch on gas. (303)524-4729 Justin. Thanks!
Last edited by Lamb on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby IkeB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I now have the day off and am planning on heading down to do yale on Monday. Earliest I could leave fort collins is 2am.

Postby justiner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 am

I'd love to go, and I'd be willing to pitch in my share of gas money, if someone wouldn't mind picking me up. I'm in Arvada, at the moment -

it wouldn't be too hard to meet up at the Sheridan/I-70 exit early on Mon.

I'll fix some breakfast burritos and coffee for us to take, as well!

(maybe PM me, if that all doesn't sound too bad, I always appreciate the rides)
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby kushrocks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:00 am

Looks like a fun group going. Looking forward to it. Where is everyone meeting and what time does everyone want to start tomorrow?
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 am

I apologize for being a little out of touch, I was in the hills Friday and Saturday as well. Mt. Yale is still on for tomorrow. I was planning on the East Ridge, but after reading recent conditions reports and seeing the snow in the Sawatch firsthand, it's my opinion the standard Denny Creek route is currently the easier objective. I'm open to the East Ridge if that's what the group overwhelmingly decides.

Let's plan to meet at the parking lot for a 7 a.m. start? We'd need to shove off earlier for the East Ridge if we shift to that route.

I'm working 11-7 today, so I'll be a little hard to reach again. I'll respond to any PMs/posts tonight. I'll be driving up in the morning and probably have a full car but I'll update if that changes.

Also, please be sure to carry lots of layers and enough to cover all exposed skin. It's supposed to be an unseasonably warm day, but the moderate wind will negate that.

-Jeff
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby IkeB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Sounds good to me.

Postby Lamb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Justiner and myself are driving up from Denver. I still have a room for a couple more otherwise see you at the Denny Creek TH at 7.

Next