Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary, the Westridge

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Quandary, the Westridge

Postby boudreaux » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 am

I was wondering if any of you Monday Warriors would like to join me for an attempt of Q's westridge on 1/28. Weather has been favorable for a try, Monday has a unknown chance of snow, but willing to see what happens. Park at the new TH on 850 and start from there and do a Tour of Quandary!
Ragin Cajun

Re: Quandary, the Westridge

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Aliciaf and I are planning an attempt of the West Ridge route on Sunday, the day before. I'm waiting to see how much if any snow falls from these first two storm waves. Sunday is currently shaping up to be a good day, so hopefully the weather can hold out till Monday for you. If we end up on the route I can send you some beta. I saw you were up there a week ago, did you venture towards the West Ridge route from the summit at all to see conditions?
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby boudreaux » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 am

I didn't go past the last wind break, but was looking at it intently, hard to tell, but I did take one pic of the fletcher/atlantic ridge that shows the end of the ridge. The east basin looked dry from the summit, all I could see was the east facing slopes, they didn't look loaded. Some snow is expected, but forecasted to less than an inch on Thurs and Fri. I wish I could join you guys on Sunday, but that ain't gonna happen, hopefully you post some pics on Sunday night!
Ragin Cajun

Postby boudreaux » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 am

Hopefully the north face of Q looks like the north face of North Star, with the snow blown off into those NE aspects and the ridge pretty much clear in between the towers.
Ragin Cajun

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks for the info. Whatever snow falls in the first wave Thursday will surely blow off as the winds are supposed kick up Thursday through Thursday night. I'm hoping for the same if it snows Saturday. Yes, I'll post some photos. As a second option were planning North Star Mountain so I'll try and get some shots of the upper ridge near the last down climb on the south face if we end up doing that.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby boudreaux » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

Good Luck on whatever you end up doing!
Ragin Cajun

Postby tockelstein2005 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

sounds like fun...too bad I'm back in Illinois :(
Mountains are not fair or unfair - they are just dangerous. -Reinhold Messner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZj2E3frQY

Postby boudreaux » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 am

Nice avatar Tockelstein! QP got some snow on Sat, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I got a nice view from Vomit of the ridge from his 360* shot, but that will all be different on Monday! It would be good to have you along!
Ragin Cajun

Postby tockelstein2005 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 am

Words cannot describe how bad I want to be there.

Postby boudreaux » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 am

I'll post some pictures, try not to get depressed! :lol:
Ragin Cajun

Postby jmc5040 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 am

Here are some photos from yesterday. We turned back soon after gaining the ridge due to timing of the hike up til that point and the progression of the weather. There was a fair amount of post holing to be found which slowed the pace. The snow is completely faceted in many spots with a hard slab on top of varying thickness. The slab is at times thick enough to support your weight, but other times not, which made travel slow. In steeper sections the faceted snowpack slid on rocks which made good foot placement critical. Snowshoes were not taken and judged that they would not have provided much additional support in the conditions.
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 015.JPG
Approach Basin
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 015.JPG (234.37 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 019.JPG
Gaining the Ridge
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 019.JPG (274.74 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 023.JPG
Start of West Ridge
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 023.JPG (287 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Postby jmc5040 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

Here are two more photos. You can see some of the early West Ridge route, but not the technical sections. The SW view of the ridge gives an idea of conditions that you might encounter on the final down climb after the crux. Looks like the area picked up some snow last night so conditions may have changed some. Good luck!
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 021.JPG
West Ridge Route
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 021.JPG (270.89 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 025.JPG
West Ridge SW View
Quandary West Ridge Attempt 025.JPG (177.42 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Next