Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sawatch 1/26

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sawatch 1/26

Postby Yikes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Anyone climbing in the Sawatch tomorrow? I'm thinking possibly Huron, Bel/Ox or Antero.

Re: Sawatch 1/26

Postby awilbur77 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm

What route were you thinking on Antero?
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Postby Yikes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Nothing specific.

1st choice would be Huron (due to road conditions).

If Antero, doesn't matter if it was Baldwin Gulch or possibly NE ridge from Raspberry Gulch

Postby FamousShoes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Yikes! My gang was thinking of getting out tomorrow morning from Ft. Collins. Our thoughts were to hike in tomorrow afternoon / evening, & then camping. Ox / Bel camp right below treeline & do it Sunday morning. Tentatively putting that out there. If you would like to join us on that let me know or if you do it on Saturday, we would appreciate the intel. Mile High Salute!

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm heading up Bull Hill from Echo Canyon tomorrow. If I have a view I'll post some conditions info. Today you could see most of the Sawatch and it looks like late spring style storms moving over with a lot of bare ground still.

Postby FamousShoes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Appreciate the heads up Leadville. Sounds windy. Maybe just hike around local then.

Postby IkeB » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm

If anyone gets on antero I would love a conditions report. I am looking at it for Monday.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:39 pm

I wasn't really sure where the Echo Canyon th was so I ended up on La Plata. There is a great snowshoe trail but it heads way too far north to be for the main peak. I got to a place where it crossed a small stream and it was running hard underneath so I turned around, not wanting to drown alone. On the way back down I figured out the right spot to stop for Echo Canyon and ended up hiking up a bit to scout for tomorrow. There isn't much snow anywhere. On La Plata I goofed around for a hour trying to find the right path on a very old trail that had partially filled in. The maze of snowshoe hare tracks made it pretty tough. If you know the area it shouldn't be too hard to get to treeline. I put on crampons since I didn't have microspikes and only really needed anything on the steep section crossing the bridge. It has a bit of ice. The rest is boot top to mid shin deep depth hoar and skins/snowshoes are really just extra weight. You could probably take the summer route to La Plata and be safe. The first slide path as you gain treeline looked to have a very small amount of snow in it with LOTS of rocks anchoring it visible. The rest of the trail above treeline should be dry.

Any slopes facing south right now are more or less melted out. I don't anticipate any snow above the mine on Bull Hill tomorrow. The south facing slide path near the first gate looks dry from top to bottom. I checked the weather and really expected a bit of snow. There were a few high (15,000ft) clouds but nothing else. If the warm weather continues expect to be hiking on summer trails.