Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elks and Sangres this summer

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Elks and Sangres this summer

Postby Jesse M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 am

I know it is early but I am interested in finding some partners who would like to attempt some of the Elk and Sangre 14ers and 13ers this summer. It would be my hope that we could do some easier hikes in the Mosquito and Sawatch ranges first to get to know each other, practice our camping skills, and see if we would make a good team. I think a group would be fun since I have been hiking solo and with the same partner for a while now. We can talk about specific goals and peaks in this thread or through PM. I am not the fastest or slowest hiker and the summit is always optional. I have learned much about group hiking do's and dont's from this site and will do my best to be a strong supportive member of our team. I hope to hear from any of you all.

P.S. If you play an instrument that could make campfires a blast, I will bring my fiddle or mandolin if possible. Oh yeah, I am a teacher so I can hike any day you want to during the summer months.

Re: Elks and Sangres this summer

Postby Catalyst » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 am

I want to hike a lot of 14ers this summer so could be interested in this. I also play guitar.

Postby Jesse M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 am

Nice Catalyst, did you have any specific peaks in mind? Honestly I am open to anything, but would like to have one or two of the more challenging peaks to be an end of summer goal. Guitar-awesome!

Postby Catalyst » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 am

I'd like to finish up the front range 14ers earlier in the summer. This would probably be a good time to do some easier Mosquito/Sawatch 14ers with you also. After that I'm definitely interested in the Elks and Sangres and doing a couple of tougher ones. It'd be really cool if we could get to the San Juans for a couple of nights too.

Edit: As far as specific peaks, I can't say I'll feel prepared to do something like Little Bear or North Maroon this summer, but I definitely want to make my way into some class 3 stuff, (Longs/Crestone peak)

Postby Beas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

I'd be down... I still have Sherman and 2/3 of the Sawatch to do, but I definitely want to get started in the Elk and Sangre ranges. I don't play any instruments though... #-o

Postby Jesse M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 am

Catalyst, I am not sure about N. Maroon or Little Bear either. I would do Longs again in a heartbeat though, any thoughts on the Loft route? A trip to the San Juans would be awesome also. I have a few done in that range but would also do any of them again, it has been 15 years since I climbed Wetterhorn and I would love to do it again.

Beas, no worries about not playing an instrument, I just thought it was a fun way to connect with someone, and I bet you can play one if you wanted to. I also have a ton of Sawatch left, I think they would make a great training ground for group dynamics and help get us in shape for some of the long approaches in the Sangres and Elks. I would be down to climb Sherman also, I have been looking at an interesting loop that would start at the Iowa Gulch TH and get a few 13ers along the way.

So far this is getting me so fired up about this summer! I really do hope we can get out together and enjoy the mountains.

Postby IkeB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 am

I plan on spending a lot of time in those ranges this summer. Post up your trips and I will try and tag along on aleast one early in the year.

Postby DaveSwink » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 am

Castle & Conundrum, Sneffels, and the Crestones are on my late spring/summer agenda.

I would be interested in doing some Sawatch or Mosquito peaks this winter/spring to get acquainted.

Postby Tim A » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm a teacher as well, though I live in Texas, but I'll be coming to spend my summer break backpacking in CO from June-July and living out of my car when I'm not couch-surfing in Denver. I'm very interested in visiting each of the ranges of the CO Rockies and would love company on my forays into the Elks and San Juan.

As I'm a choral director, I do sing and play the piano, but I think I'll leave the Steinway at home and just bring my voice to campfire parties...

Postby Jesse M » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 am

Okay, so it looks like we might have a team starting to form. What about a climb during the last week of March, kind of a get to know each other day out. I think Sherman would be a great first one together, or anything else really, it doesn't matter to me, I just want to get our and meet some new people this year.

TheodenKing1, hit me up when you are around Colorado Springs, you could crash on my couch no problem, or in my spare room. We could plan a mountain during that time. And you have a Steinway, :shock: :).
"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy." George Mallory

lordhelmut wrote:You are, in fact, one of the gatekeeper of the Gapers.

Postby Vermont Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

Hey Jesse, hit me up for any weekday hikes. I live in the Springs as well. I've only climbed Pyramid in the Elks, and have about half the Sangres 14ers left. As far as 13ers go, well, there's quite a few of 'em left :) Pretty much down for anything.

Postby Catalyst » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 am

Jesse M wrote: I would do Longs again in a heartbeat though, any thoughts on the Loft route? A trip to the San Juans would be awesome also. I have a few done in that range but would also do any of them again, it has been 15 years since I climbed Wetterhorn and I would love to do it again.

I would be open to doing to loft route. Wetterhorn sounds awesome also.

I think I'm going to be out of Colorado for a week or so around the end of March, but a hike sometime in April could work. I'd also like to do a winter 14er sometime in the next month or so, if you're interested in that.

Next