Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elks and Sangres this summer

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Elks and Sangres this summer

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 am

I still have yet to touch the Elks - they are all on my to-do list for this summer.

In the Sangres I still need Crestone Peak, Kit Carson, Challenger, Blanca, Little Bear and Culebra.

A while back I made myself a tentative 14er schedule for this year. Maybe we can hike together for a few on that list. :)

Also planning on doing Longs for the third time in either July or August.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 pm

I would love to tag alone with any of the winter, spring, or early summer hikes. I've hiked a few 14ers but have a ton of outdoor experience. I would rehike Sherman in March if y'all go and I want to hike Longs sometime as well. I don't really have any preference on what ranges I would want to finish off this summer so I'm up for anything.

Postby Billy the Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey Jesse (and everyone else who has replied to this thread),

I have 9 14ers left to finish the 58 and I am planning to finish this summer. Needless to say, I still have some in the Elks and Sangres. These would be Capitol, Snowmass, Culebra, Crestone Needle and Little Bear. I will be looking for hiking partners so please PM me and keep me in the loop, if you plan/desire to climb any of these!

Hope to see you soon!

Billy
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby Catalyst » Sun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Thought I would get this thread started again with summer getting closer. I've been thinking about doing Grays/Torreys on the 10th, but I'm not sure yet. Anyone else interested in going?

Postby myfeetrock » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm game for pyramid and n maroon. I also need to get capitol done this summer.

Postby Justin9 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm

I am planning on the crestones peak to needle traverse as soon as it is clear of snow and am looking for partners or a group to go with. Also need the bells and would consider that traverse with the right climbing partner.

Postby Vermont Mike » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Hoping to finish the Sangres sans Culebra this year (Crestone Peak, Lindsey, Little Bear, Blanca, Ellingwood) and would like to knock off at least half of my remaining Elks (I've only been up Pyramid). Really just down to hike/climb anything though, in as many areas of the state as possible. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my "weekend."

Postby chevrechamoisee » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm a teacher too and looking to get into those ranges. I've only done Lindsey and no Elks, so I'd be happy to join. Keep me in the loop!
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

Postby big_red_pride » Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I too am looking to knock off at least the rest of the Sangre peaks this year and most if not all of the Elks. I'm also going to go after several peaks in the San Juans. Here are the peaks I'm looking to finish off in the Sangre's and Elks and would be interested in finding some partners for.

Sangres - Little Bear (6/15?, depend on hourglass conditions), Challenger/Kit Carson (7/20?)
Elks - Anything besides Castle/Conundrum
San Juans - planning a trip the last full week of June, I will be hitting up San Luis, Redcloud/Sunshine, Handies, Wetterhorn, and Uncompahgre if anyone is interested.

I have been working out my summer plans where I have 2 weeks off, one in June and one in August where I plan on hiking most of the week.

Looking forward to the summer!

Postby Tony1 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm

I'd like to get Little Bear via the southwest ridge sometime before storms become too much of a daily occurrence since it's such a long, high route.

Also Snowmass! I definitely want to get up that one while it's still mostly covered in snow.

Anyone planning on these at all so far?

Postby Justin9 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 am

Tony, I will be after snowmass later this summer. Probably the S ridge and will be looking for a partner for this climb.

Postby desertdog » Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 am

I am thinking about a trip 6/20 to 6/27 to the Sangres and/or San Juans depending on conditions. I am very flexible...I would be happy to re-climb something I've done if we could also get in something I haven't.

Let's talk about. PM me if interested.

Richard

PreviousNext