Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mount Elbert East Ridge Tuesday 2013-02-05

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mount Elbert East Ridge Tuesday 2013-02-05

Postby vdavidoff » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Barring dramatic changes in the weather, I'm going to attempt Mount Elbert's East Ridge on this Tuesday 2013-02-05. The weather forecast for the peak has turned a little worse over the past day or two, but unless they start forecasting 25mph+ winds or temperatures (chill) less than 10 below, I'm gonna go give it a shot just to get out on the trail if nothing else.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Elbert/forecasts/4399

I plan to be at the lower trailhead by 0530 with a goal of driving to the upper trailhead and being on trail by 0600. It sounds like with the lack of snow and warmish temperatures since the last trailhead report, the road might be fine for my 4runner, but I won't know until I'm there.

Things to know about me:

* This is my first attempt at Mt. Elbert
* This is my 3th attempt at a 14er, and would be my 2nd summit if that happens
* I always hike alone so I don't know how my pace compares. I am not the slowest hiker in the world but you might be faster than I am.
* I have knee issues that sometimes flare up, and result in anything from a super slow pace, to needing to turn back. This hasn't happened recently, but it's always a possibility. It often happens on the descent.

I will be coming from Ranch of the Rockies, in the event you want to come along and carpooling makes sense.

Anyone who wants to join, get in touch...

Andy

Re: Mount Elbert East Ridge Tuesday 2013-02-05

Postby bhuss7 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Did you make it? If so, what kind of snow conditions did you run into?

thanks for any info you can provide.

Re: Mount Elbert East Ridge Tuesday 2013-02-05

Postby vdavidoff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm

I did make it. The conditions are certainly very different by now, but here's my peak conditions report:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=2072

Andy