help with IPW Peak identification

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

help with IPW Peak identification

Post by MtnHub »

As I'm not that familiar with the peaks in IPW, could someone please help to ID the 2 (or 3?) peaks behind Lake Isabelle in the center of the first photo, as well as the same 3 in the upper left corner of the 2nd photo? I would greatly appreciate it!

I was thinking they are Apache and Shoshoni Peaks but another friend thought they might be Navajo and Apache and Shoshoni is not visible. Could someone clarify? Thanks! :-D
DSC02169.JPG
DSC02169.JPG (206.23 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
DSC02179.JPG
DSC02179.JPG (241.22 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: help with IPW Peak identification

Post by rijaca »

Navajo(l) and Apache(r).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

first picture, from left to right: Niwot Ridge, Navajo Peak (the pointy triangluar one), Apache Peak in center/right, Shoshoni on far right

second picture, left to right in background: Navajo, Apache, center looks like Shoshoni (seems like picture was taken from Pawnee Peak)
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

2nd L>R: Navajo (cone), the tiny Dicker's Peck, Apache(the big one), Shoshoni (foreground), George (just barely visible behind Shoshoni), Iroquois, and Hopi (with snowfield far right). Lone Eagle is hard to pick out but just below the snowfield far right.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

"George"? It's just called, "George"?
Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

"Mount George" to you, sir. Has a couple of good snow lines up from Fair. Class 4 from either Iroquois or Apache.

But the view...
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on you! And yes, the 2nd shot was taken from Pawnee Peak.

The ID my other friend sent me is attached below. So just to clarify, what he listed as "*" between Navajo and Apache (the double pointed rise) you're saying is Dicker's Peck? And then is Shoshoni the "peak" he is saying is not really a peak but only a high point? Is everything else ID'd correctly?

BTW, great shot, Ryan!

Thanks again for all your help! :-D
Attachments
IPW.jpg
IPW.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

MtnHub wrote:The ID my other friend sent me is attached below. So just to clarify, what he listed as "*" between Navajo and Apache (the double pointed rise) you're saying is Dicker's Peck? And then is Shoshoni the "peak" he is saying is not really a peak but only a high point? Is everything else ID'd correctly?
His labeling of Shoshoni as out of picture is correct, and Dicker's Peck is the small spire directly in the Navajo-Apache saddle, just left of the top of Navajo Snowfield (so not the *).
Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

In addition to Dan's comments, lone eagle is further right at the end of the ridge, hardly resembling a peak from most angles. "Limbo" is the point marked
Last edited by Monster5 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks again, guys! I really appreciate it! :-D
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

New Bitmap Image.jpg
New Bitmap Image.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 954 times
http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=40.0817& ... =5&dir=227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Cool! Thanks, Speth! Didn't realize you could see all of those!