Lost Lake, Nederland CO

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lost Lake, Nederland CO

Post by ajkagy »

I have a friend that lives up in eldora and she said they had gotten around 8 inches from this last storm if that helps...
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bettyboulder
14ers: 17 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bettyboulder »

I went up to Lost Lake on Sunday, and there is definitely snow. The road is only passable about halfway to the Hessie trailhead, so it lengthens the hike a bit. I wore Yak Trax and had no problems, though there were one or two spots with no snow. I saw other people just wearing sneakers/boots, a few people on skis, and a bunch snow shoeing. The main trail was pretty packed down. Probably not the most exciting of snow conditions until we get another storm, but it's always beautiful up there.

Hope that helps.

Beth
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks to all for the info. I think im gonna stick with Lost Lake. Im still now sure of the day since I havent found a babysitter. If I do get one Ill be going on Sat. If not Ill have to wait til sunday.

Thanks again.
headeulogy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by headeulogy »

jamespeak wrote:The Jim Creek trail starts on the east side on Hwy 40 opposite the entrance to the Winter Park ski area, NOT the Mary Jane entrance. I think it's the first light after you come down Berthoud Pass. You start off on the Discovery Trail and go left on a road that heads east. The road eventually intersects with a larger road, but keep straight to get on the Jim Creek Trail. You will see a sign for the James Peak Protection Area and a smaller sign for the trail. Hope this helps!!

James
Me and the gf never went to the Jim Creek, but we saw the TH. I was having troubles with my snowshoes (user error) and she got tired quickly. There was a good amount of snow there and was a nice area. We also saw a lot of moose tracks. As we went in on the Discovery Trail an other snowshoe-er (sp?) leaving the trail said there was a moose back there, and another verified there are a lot of moose sightings in the area. We plan on going back in the next few weekends to complete what we set out to do - Jim Creek. Thanks for the help James.
azita
Trip Reports (0)

Post by azita »

Has anyone ever skied to Lost Lake from the top of an Eldora lift? Is that allowed?
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

azita wrote:Has anyone ever skied to Lost Lake from the top of an Eldora lift? Is that allowed?
I've totally done that. Yeah, it's allowed.
azita
Trip Reports (0)

Post by azita »

dannyg23 wrote:
azita wrote:Has anyone ever skied to Lost Lake from the top of an Eldora lift? Is that allowed?
I've totally done that. Yeah, it's allowed.

Nice. How challenging is the descent down to the lake from the top of the Corona lift?
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

azita wrote: Nice. How challenging is the descent down to the lake from the top of the Corona lift?
That I did it at all means it's not that challenging. If you can handle the regular ski runs in that area you should be fine. There were a few other people back there when I did it, I think that area sees pretty regular traffic. My friends and I snowboarded all the way down to the town of Eldora actually, I recommend it for sure.