McClure Pass TH?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: McClure Pass TH?

Post by kaiman »

Yep, I think cheeseburglar is right there is a trail from McClure Pass towards Chair Mountain, but I don't think it goes all the way to Raspberry Creek/Anthracite Pass. If you are looking for an approach to climb Chair Mountain, Gerry Roach has a route description on his website (I haven't done it so I can't testify to it's accuracy): http://www.climb.mountains.com/Classic_ ... hair.shtml It also looks like there are private property issues with this climb as well...

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Britette
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Britette »

The only trail that I know of that exists from Mclure and goes round the backside of the Raggeds is the Raggeds trail. It starts at MClure Pass and goes 19 miles and drops 2000 feet to Erickson Springs which is on the road to Kebler Pass near the Paonia Resevoir. From there you can take the Dark Canyon trail and up to Anthracite Pass where you could conect to the Raspberry Creek trail. I would imagine this would make for an incredible multi day back packing trip (I have done Marble to Erickson but not Raggeds trail) but I don't believe it gives any easy access into the Ragged mountains, or allows one to circumnavigate the private property issues for Chair Mountain.
judy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by judy »

Ah - just got the topo for that region (dark canyon). Looks like a great route.
Next question - given the junction from N. Anthracite trail, which would you choose, Raspberry Ridge (does it have
great views of the raggeds, or by then you want to look the other direction!) - or Anthracite?

Also, do the trails marked on the "trails illustrated topo maps" -- truly note the private property areas?
I know that the Ragged trail (is it 820?) - trailhead at McClure begins before the gate into that subdivision, but
it's unclear if there are any other snaggly bits.

Lastly, the bear issue -- for backpacking in this area, would you guys recommend the canister, or am I just
being paranoid... I'll be there with my two sons, so I could just toss the adolescent ... :) jk!!!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

The way I usually do this loop is drop a car at the bottom of the Raspberry Creek trail (about 1/4 mile up the Marble Quarry road), and then hike/drive to the Yule Creek/Anthracite Pass trailhead (which starts at the last switchback before the mine road ends). Hike about 1/4 mile up the Yule Creek trail and follow the signs to the right at the Anthracite Pass junction.

From here it's about another mile or so to the top of Anthracite Pass (you can camp in the trees here if you like and there are some nice spots that are well used by horseback riders). Continuing straight over the top will take you down towards the Kebler Pass/Crested Butte side towards Ruby/Dark Canyon, etc. Or from the top of Anthracite Pass look for a faint trail that veers to the right towards the cliffy ridge. This will take you through the trees and then switch back up to the top of the Raspberry Creek ridge. From here the views of the Raggeds, Chair Mountain, Liberty Bell Peak, Treasure Vault Mountain, Yule Creek, and the Elks towards Crystal/Snowmass Mountain are awesome. You can climb out on the Raggeds Trail if you like or continue the loop by continuing on the ridge until it begins to descend towards Raspberry Creek.

Once down in the valley below the ridge (also a place you could camp) the trail traverses to the right and goes around the bend back towards the Quarry Road drainage. After a bit you will come to a trail junction and you can either go right and finish the middle portion of the Raspberry Creek loop by ending up by climbing back to Anthracite Pass and out to your car at the Yule Creek trailhead or go left and end up back on the Quarry Road and your car at the Raspberry Creek trailhead. You can also do this loop the other way if you like.

A third option is to do the whole loop (without the Yule Creek section), from the Raspberry Creek trailhead so you won't have to shuttle a vehicle up the road (but it depends on whether you want to visit the Marble mine on the way out). This whole loop (no matter which way you do it) is around 9-10 miles I believe.

And yes I would recommend hanging your packs or using canisters as they don't call this Raspberry Creek for nothing (and the bears know it too)! :wink:

A good place to start for maps and more trail info that I've added here is Warren Olrich's hiking guides Aspen & Central Colorado Trails and Aspen/Snowmass Trails both available locally or from Amazon.com

Have fun!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
judy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by judy »

Thank you all so much! My mom lives at the base of McClure Pass, so I figure it's a no-brainer starting point, and then
I can call her from Marble when we amble out. I just got the topo map - dark canyon looks interesting. Will post
back next summer after the trip. Definitely a beautiful part of the state!
Judy
judy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by judy »

Hi all,
Got back from doing the Raggeds-Deep Canyon-N Anthracite Loop that I'd asked about earlier.
So here's a brief rundown:
Top of McClure Pass, Raggeds trail is nice, one of the biggest Aspen groves with huge trees, well-maintained trail
by the Paonia District, trail OK, rolling, runs into a road for a bit here and there, animal fences, etc. - nice view
of waterfall from I think Buck creek.
Camped at Spring creek (got a late start), where the trail becomes ATV accessible. Bleck is all I can say about
backpacking on a road. Tomahawk reservoir nice, Williams Creek lake had lots of fingerlings.
Down to the campground at Erikson Springs. Easy living not having to filter water. Long dry way down, though,
with scant views other than the massive Raggeds. :)
Next morning up Dark Canyon - not quite as dark and deep as I'd expected, but lovely. Just beautiful and lots of
good fishing holes.
Just past Ruby Anthracite Creek we turned north up N. Anthracite trail. This was also really nice, following the creek.
There was a creek crossing with a log across that was interesting, looked like it would be a handful to cross earlier
in the year.
On up past lots of fern meadows finally into grassy meadows and then the heaven of the basin.
Huge waterfall there! It was really, really beautiful.
Up Anthracite Pass. The top doesn't really yield a lot of views. But the way up does.
Big rock falls from Marble Peak in the afternoon and the middle of the night.
Did not see any big animals at all, which was somewhat disappointing. Plenty of evidence, but, no sightings.
Camped at the top of the pass, made it down to Marble the next noontime.
Very pleasant trip, aside from the ATV road bit. So many kudos to those of you who helped me see that this
was completely doable. And thanks to the Paonia Rangers who are very helpful, and maintain their trails. I can't
say as much for the trails just N of the district, and Glenwood wasn't much help, Carbondale at least had a ranger
who'd been up the pass and knew what I was asking.
Thanks much, people!
Judy