NEWBIE wanting advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BALONEYMAN
Trip Reports (0)

NEWBIE wanting advice

Post by BALONEYMAN »

i am relitively new to the 14er scene but i am catching the fever quick. i have been a leisure hiker for about 5 years and just recently started trying 14ers. i have now done pikes peak, mt elbert, mt princeton, and most recently blanca/ellingwood with the ridge traverse. i loved the exposure and felt comfotable the entire time with no trouble. is it too soon to jump into a class 3? if not, any sugestions? i am 24 scrawny but decent good shape have some scrambling experience.
pkpzp228
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: NEWBIE wanting advice

Post by pkpzp228 »

Do you mean class 4? If you've done and were comfortable with the Blanca Ellingwood traverse than yea I'd say you are ready for class 3. The traverse is class 3 isn't it? In my opinion the difference between moderate class 2 and class 3 is small, kinda like a ramp versus the stairs. I began to get comfortable and gain experience with exposure by going out of my way to make more difficult lines on typical easy routes. Just listen to your instincts and climb within your bounds.

Climb on.
-- climb on --

http://verticalcompulsion.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BALONEYMAN
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BALONEYMAN »

ya it was class 3traverse i was just making sure i wasnt jumping the gun by going straight to class 3. except for pikes peak 4 years ago i did the other 4 just this summer i would like to do some more exposed scrambling i loved it. any sugestions on my next peak
Schroder
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Schroder »

Lindsy West ridge, Kelso Ridge on Torreys, Sneffels Southwest Ridge, Crestone Needle, Etc... Take a look at some of the standard reference books that classify them by difficulty (Rouche among others). Keep ur capability in check with the Wx...Exposure and class 3 can be a blast...until its wet and ur in a hurry to get down. Be safe, have fun.