100 Highest finishers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 100 Highest finishers?

Post by CG_old »

Yeah... that makes a lot of sense actually, thanks.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

seannunn wrote:Just curious as to whether the top 100 list includes Sunlight Spire? Or is there not enough of a drop between it and Sunlight to make it a "true" summit (whatever that is)?

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
Its not included, its only about a 215' drop. Its not even an officially named summit, "Sunlight Spire" is just a nickname.

On the other end of the list, based on 300' of prominence the list "stops" with Dallas Peak as #100 at 13,809'.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

The CMC publishes the names of people who report finishing various lists each year. The most recent lists can be found at
http://www.cmc.org/Upload/ArticlesDirectory/18.pdf , beginning on p. 17.
According to that, 162 people have now registered with the CMC as having finished the 100 highest, and 18 have registered as having finished the 13ers, the most recent being Steve Gladbach.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Let's be honest. No one is going to get fame or glory from finishing either list so the choice of whether to let someone know is ultimately a personal decision. As far as I'm aware the 13er completion list is completely accurate. I have no idea the margin of error on the high 100 list but 50% wouldn't surprise me. The 14er completion list is extremely inaccurate and I'd guess that even saying it's under by 2-3x might be an underestimate. I know of a few 14er finishers who never reported and I'm sure many others do too.

I'd guess that if you cut off the lists at 1990 and maybe even to 2000 they are fairly accurate. There weren't many resources besides the CMC and not nearly as many people out climbing.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Jon Frohlich wrote:Let's be honest. No one is going to get fame or glory from finishing either list so the choice of whether to let someone know is ultimately a personal decision. As far as I'm aware the 13er completion list is completely accurate. I have no idea the margin of error on the high 100 list but 50% wouldn't surprise me. The 14er completion list is extremely inaccurate and I'd guess that even saying it's under by 2-3x might be an underestimate. I know of a few 14er finishers who never reported and I'm sure many others do too.

I'd guess that if you cut off the lists at 1990 and maybe even to 2000 they are fairly accurate. There weren't many resources besides the CMC and not nearly as many people out climbing.
Yep, and not to mention that not everyone uses the same "list".

I did not register with the CMC when I finished the 14ers, mainly because my list is different from theirs. For one, they include an unranked peak that I haven't climbed (North Maroon). However, on their highest 100 list, they don't include North Maroon (or El Diente) and they DO included Challenger (which they don't include as a 14er!). How can you have an accurate tally of finishers when they have two different groups of 14ers on each of their own lists?

All the more reason to climb for your own personal goals and not for fame or glory :wink:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Yep, and not to mention that not everyone uses the same "list".

I did not register with the CMC when I finished the 14ers, mainly because my list is different from theirs. For one, they include an unranked peak that I haven't climbed (North Maroon). However, on their highest 100 list, they don't include North Maroon (or El Diente) and they DO included Challenger (which they don't include as a 14er!). How can you have an accurate tally of finishers when they have two different groups of 14ers on each of their own lists?
A good point too. I'm using the list of 118 ranked and unranked peaks over 13,800. Some want to strictly do the ranked 100. Some want to do 59, 58, 54, or 53. I'm sure the highest 200/300/400 get even more complicated. What is finishing exactly? :) What did Ellingwood and Blaurock climb? I'm guessing it wasn't 58.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Yep, and not to mention that not everyone uses the same "list".

All the more reason to climb for your own personal goals and not for fame or glory :wink:
Personally, I'm looking for a list of the top 100 that includes N. Maroon & El D--so that Dallas would be bumped into the second hundred.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Thanks JimR. That was the kind of data that I was looking for. 162 finishers gives me a rough idea of the accomplishment. Even if it is off by quite a bit, it is still probably less than 500. It is not very many people considering that there are about 300 million people in the United States. That's one finisher for every 600,000 to 700,000 people in the USA. Cool.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Given that the majority of the 100 highest are <4th class hikes, completing this list is indeed a hiking accomplishment, no doubt about that. By no means trying to diminish the accomplishment of that goal (which I have not done and have zero interest in doing), if there's the interest in a singular (?) accomplishment, I don't know of anyone who has summitted all of Colorado's 5th class summits (ie peaks which have a 5th class route as the easiest summit). I'm probably wrong on that, but John Prater has a cool http://www.summitpost.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; page listing them all, I think numbering 50+. Some of them are apparently pretty lousy, loose talus hikes with a low 5th summit scramble (e.g. some of the San Juan 5.0-5.4 peaks), some are sorta bouldering problems (Cheesman Peak, Peak T, etc.), but some are pretty cool actual peaks/spires (Lizard Head, Sunlight Spire, etc.). Some are really tough (Steamboat Rock, 5.10 A3), some may be first ascents. I've done a very few, but if there's a list to complete with bragging rights I think that may be it. What do y'all think?
-Tom
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I think it is an interesting idea TomPierce. I have climbed, or will climb the technical peaks that are aesthetic to me. At some point though, with all of the truly fine rock to climb in this state, you have to ask yourself, "why am I climbing this choss pile?" I feel that the 100 highest peaks gives you a great taste of Colorado's high country, provides a nice base for mountaineering skills, and contains plenty of variety if you choose. Cool suggestion though, I like it.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Here is the LOJ list of CO fifth class peaks. It shows ranked and unraked 5th class peaks.
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conten ... p?State=CO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;