100 Highest finishers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

100 Highest finishers?

Post by PKelley »

Does anyone know a good estimate for the number of people who have finished the 100 highest ranked peaks in Colorado? I sent an email to the CMC, but have not received a response. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Re: 100 Highest finishers?

Post by Layne Bracy »

http://epeakregister.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (look under climbing societies) lists 150+ through 2007.

The issue always comes up of unregistered completers, but I'd guess the high 100 list is more accurate percentage-wise than the 14er list.
miztflip
14ers: 55  4 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by miztflip »

I don't take much stock in those numbers. I can think of several 14er and top 100 finishers that haven't told anyone other than a few close friends, and that's only because we asked. I guess you can use them as a rough estimate but I'd guess there are countless, especially those that have lived up here for decades, that have finished one or both and not made much mention of it.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

miztflip wrote:
I don't take much stock in those numbers. I can think of several 14er and top 100 finishers that haven't told anyone other than a few close friends, and that's only because we asked. I guess you can use them as a rough estimate but I'd guess there are countless, especially those that have lived up here for decades, that have finished one or both and not made much mention of it.
I second this. I have put together a list of the top 115 peaks between 13,800-14,433 and am about 60+ peaks into it, but have probably only signed the register on about 8 of those peaks. I'm not really out for fame and glory, just personal self-fulfillment, as are many other unnamed Colorado mountaineers who climb many of these peaks multiple times just because they can and want to.
Last edited by kaiman on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

I know a lot of people who've climbed at least the 14ers, and some the highest 100, and have never signed a thing... seems like it would be really hard to get an accurate number.
Layne Bracy
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

None of the completion lists involve someone actually going through summit registers and compiling them to see who has done them all. So, it's not a matter of whether you sign the registers or not. We've all been on peaks where there was no register, or no pen, or no space, or you couldn't find it under snow, or you couldn't pry the cap off.... Rather, the list of completers at epeakregister reflects those who have registered their completion with the CMC.

My hypothesis is that the more advanced the list is, the more accurate it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if the list of 14er completers is an underestimation by a factor of 2-3x.

However, I'd guess that there are no 13er completers(all 637 ranked peaks) who haven't reported to the CMC. Anyone know one?

In between, I expect it falls off. For the high 100, maybe it's under by 50% or so.

As you move up to the high 200, 300 and on, I'd guess there are fewer and fewer folks not on the lists.

Just my guess!

EDIT: Undoubtedly, the lists also have error of the false positive kind - someone registered without having actually completed the list. Maybe they used a different version, or called it good below the true summits,etc.
miztflip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by miztflip »

kaiman wrote:miztflip wrote:
I second this. I have put together a list of the top 115 peaks between 13,800-14,443 and am about 60+ peaks into it, but have probably only signed the register on about 8 of those peaks. I'm not really out for fame and glory, just personal self-fulfillment, as are many other unnamed Colorado mountaineers who climb many of these peaks multiple times just because they can and want to.
I can certainly relate to that. I'm one of those closet peakbaggers. Instead of list based on height I tend to get caught up on climbing everything in a given area and then moving on, it's the same problem only different criteria. Also if you climb long enough in the state you will most likely end up ticking off the top 100 without trying very hard. I think I've got about 23 left without really making them a priority. I've even found that alot of the lesser traveled peaks don't even have summit registers on them.
miztflip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by miztflip »

Were does the reporting to CMC come in? I've never heard of anything like that. Is that what members do?
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

You don't have to be a CMC member to report to them you have climbed all the fourteeners, highest 100, 200 etc. For the 14ers I photocopied my climbing log and wrote a few paragraphs. In their annual issue they mentioned comments from climbers who completed. My understanding is there is no required format. They take your word for it.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

Why would somebody tell the CMC if they weren't a member? I didn't even know you could do that.

I'm just curious...as I probably wouldn't bother with the trouble of submitting all the paperwork... but I'm also fairly lazy.
miztflip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by miztflip »

Chris Gerber wrote:Why would somebody tell the CMC if they weren't a member? I didn't even know you could do that.

I'm just curious...as I probably wouldn't bother with the trouble of submitting all the paperwork... but I'm also fairly lazy.
I guess that was my point. Even if I'd finished all the 13ers it would never have occurred to me to submit anything to CMC, what's the point?
Layne Bracy
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

There's not really much 'paperwork' - just a note or email that you finished whatever list.

As for whether there's a point, I'm not sure there is.

I suppose a lot of us list-tickers like stats. In a way, when you've completed a list, you are now part of the stats, too.

Out east, there's a group called the Adirondack 46ers. http://www.adk46r.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They have over 6000 completers. I don't think it's really about fame or glory - maybe just being part of a club. Similar to being a 14er finisher.

I suppose things get a little different for more rare breeds like the 13er completers. After all, these folks don't just have a hobby, it's almost a lifestyle. So, maybe it becomes more of a brother/sisterhood thing. Just speculating, since I hope to get the high 100 but doubt I'll ever complete the high 200.

I think Steve Gladbach is the only 13er finisher who's a regular here - he'd be better to comment on the significance of it.