Nice half day hike near Denver?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
soybean56
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 210 1
Trip Reports (4)

Nice half day hike near Denver?

Post by soybean56 »

Hi all,
I was originally planning on doing a pair of 14ers tomorrow and Saturday morning, but that doesn't look like it will happen. I'd still like to get out for a nice half-day hike on Saturday before the ZZ Top/Aerosmith concert that night.
I live in Fort Collins. Does anyone know of a nice half-day (I have a pretty fast pace) between the Fort and near Denver? I've thought the hillls west of Denver (Lookout Mtn, Red Rocks, etc) look like a fun walk, but I'm not sure if there are any trails in the area.
Any help would be appreciated.
No worries, I'm still going to do the 14ers I planned on, just making next week's trip bigger and better :wink:
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nice half day hike near Denver?

Post by ketel1 »

Boulder has many: Green Mountain Loop; Shadow Canyon or Fern Canyon up to S Boulder Peak and Bear Peak. They are highly used, but you can get a similar gain (3000') if you choose the right route. There are great hikes up near Cameron Pass, too. Look near Lake Agnes/Crags, Mt. Richtofen. These typically have less crowds.
Have fun!
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve