Day Hike

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Day Hike

Post by zoriloco »

Good morning everyone,

Wife, Baby and I want to take a nice Day hike (around 8-9 miles), doesnt have to be a 14ers but we would like something with lots of scenery. Whaterfalls, Lakes, Cliff's. We were planning on doing Concundrum but dont have time for a 2 day hike. Any suggestions, hopefully something with in an 1-1.5hrs from Denver. If you wish you can only pm me and I promise I'll keep it in the DL.

TIA.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Day Hike

Post by Jim Davies »

Mohawk Lakes south of Breckenridge is a nice hike with all of the stuff you're looking for. It is also fairly busy.
link
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Cascade Creek in the IPW is my favorite day hike. TH is at Grand Lake and it's the approach hike to Lone Eagle Peak - numerous waterfalls and the scenery is spectacular: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

Agreed. My wife and I dayhiked out to Crater Lake - That was a loooong day. The scenery just kills.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Can't go wrong this time of year - great time for wildflowers. You'll enjoy it. Some suggestions:

Cascade Creek - numerous big waterfalls, gorgeous lakes at the end, iconic Lone Eagle Peak - best enjoyed as an overnighter. But I did it the first time as a day hike - a very loooong day.

Blue Lake in the Brainard Lake area is a good one, about 9 miles R/T. A few cascades and two lakes. I recently posted a TR here showing the outstanding view from Blue Lake.

Lake Isabelle in Brainard Lake area is a gorgeous hike.

The hike up to Arapaho Pass from the Fourth of July TH is a good one. Lake Dorothy, the highest in all of the Indian Peaks Wilderness, is at the top. Mt. Neva towers above the lake. No big waterfalls but the trail does cross a cascade or two.

Ouzel Lake in Wild Basin of RMNP is a fine day hike. There are many fine hikes in the Wild Basin with big waterfalls and gorgeous lakes.

And finally - Loch Vale in Glacier Gorge of RMNP. Continue on to Glass Lake, Sky Pond, or Andrews Tarn if you have the energy. I think this is the hike me and my partner have chosen for weekend. Maybe we'll see you on the trail. Enjoy.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks guys.... Ill let you know what we end up hiking.