CO Visitor Suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
E-dorvs
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

CO Visitor Suggestions

Post by E-dorvs »

Over the next couple of months I have a number of family and friends coming out to Colorado to visit. They are all active people but not all would probably interested in getting up at the crack of dawn and spending most of the day on a 14er. Therefore, as is normal even when I don't have visitors, I'm looking over maps and websites looking into short hikes, scenic places or just generally fun things to do in the state. I feel like I've been hitting up a lot of the state but of course there is still a vast majority I have yet to discover. I figured if anyone wanted to add in their inputs this could be a good spot to keep a running list of areas/things to do people have liked, disliked, etc.

Generally speaking, I figure hiking suggestions would be in the category of 0-2,000' of gain, 0-6 miles or so, scenic, not too crowded, above treeline, lake hike or mining history/ruins, and overall just get a good feel for the state for people who are looking to get out and enjoy the mountains or cities without a ton of effort, technical gear or planning.

Just to throw out a few ideas:
- Hike off of Argentine Pass: good off roading if you have the ability, above treeline, short hikes to various summits in the area, not too far a drive
- A ton of places in the Indian Peaks for lakes and views (although a lot of trailheads are pretty crowded up there)
- Microbrew tours in and around the Denver area (Avery, Lefthand, New Belgium, Golden City - I'm biased)
- Mining Tours - Anybody have any good or bad experiences?
- On and on
"The solitary places do not seem quite lonely. At the gates of the forest, the surprised man of the world is forced to leave his city estimates of great and small, wise and foolish. The knapsack of custom falls off his back with the first step he makes into these precincts. Here is sanctity which shames our religions, and reality which discredits our heroes."
— Ralph Waldo Emersron, Nature.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: CO Visitor Suggestions

Post by JeffR »

E-dorvs wrote: - Hike off of Argentine Pass: good off roading if you have the ability, above treeline, short hikes to various summits in the area, not too far a drive
This would be my first suggestion too. Unfortunately, you probably won't meet the "not too crowded" requirement.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Weekends tend to be more crowded, so try a weekday if possible. The Argentine Pass suggestion is very good. One other in the same area is start at Waldorf (11,594') by the Quonset and take a leisurely stroll past the Santiago Mine, and follow the switchback Argentine Central railroad grade to the end of the line (13,040'). From there it is a short bound up to the Mount McClellan (13,587') summit register. It may be a long round trip on foot, though, unless you cut across the switchbacks going or returning.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
lizzard
14ers: 11 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lizzard »

Hanging Lake just east of Glenwood Springs is a nice hike, a little over 1000' ft of gain and about 2.5 miles round trip. It sees a lot of people though (the parking lot was pretty full today), but I think it's a worthwhile hike to see the lake and then spouting rock.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

When my parents were visiting from Missouri in June, I took them up Devil's Head, and they absolutely loved it. It's a short hike (3 mi. RT, I believe, with about 900' elevation gain), and doesn't get above treeline. There will also be quite a few people along the trail as well. But you get great views of Evans/Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys on the way up, and at the top you get to climb the lookout tower and meet the forest ranger Bill, who's looking out for fires all summer. He'll point out many 14ers, and you can even see the Sangres and Mt.Antero on a clear day (or as ranger Bill says, "Mt. Anterio"), not to mention the huge view of Pikes to the south.
Not necessarily the Colorado adventure many of us are used to, but for my parents it was. They still tell everyone back home about the beautiful sights they saw, and they feel like they truly experienced Colorado in its beauty. If you have visitors not used to seeing the mountains, I'd recommend this hike.
And the beer tours are always a must...
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
JayMiller
14ers: 28 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JayMiller »

Mark A Stiener said:
unless you cut across the switchbacks going or returning
Gosh, I hope that was a joke. Otherwise, what part of No Trace do you not understand.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

JayMiller:
What is your basis for issuing this timely comment? Trying to sidetrack the thread?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Loveland Pass, Guanella Pass, Mt. Evans all get to the treeline within an hour of driving.
Then you hike with great views for many hours.

Colorado Springs has interesting sights, but not much of a night life.
Theres the Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, and Olympic Village.
Doing anything on Pikes Peak takes the better part of the day.
You take take the cogtrain up, or park partway up at Devils Playground
and hike from there.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Traffic on Loveland Pass can be kind of....exciting sometimes. All the nasty, dangerous trucks that can't go through the Tunnel go that way.
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13000009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A tanker hauling diesel fuel and gasoline crashed and burned in a hairpin turn on U.S. 6 west of the summit of Loveland Pass this afternoon, creating an intense fire that was allowed to burn itself out.

The driver escaped the cab after the truck ran a short ways down an embankment and caught fire, said State Trooper David Hall.

The Colorado Department of Transportation has closed the pass overnight to repair damage.

Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue crews found it safer to allow the 3,800 gallons of diesel fuel and 3,500 gallons of unleaded gasoline to burn themselves out.

Dousing the fire risked a toxic runoff that could contaminate vegetation and water, according to a statement from the fire department.

The accident was about a mile and a half from the summit of the 11,000-foot pass at about 2:15 p.m., authorities said.

The fire burned as hot as 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit and at times the flames reached 150 feet high, according to a statement from the department.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

A bit off subject from the OP's post, but checking http://www.cotrip.org, the CDOT website, can be a real time saver in events like this. I'd planned to do some hiking at Loveland Pass today, fortunately heard about this accident last p.m. and found Loveland Pass was still closed this a.m. BEFORE I left my house by checking the CDOT website! :D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.