correct spelling of Vermilion?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

correct spelling of Vermilion?

Post by d_baker »

Just curious, but I've always spelled Vermillion with 2 ll's, and probably because all the guide books I use (e.g., Roach, Garratt & Martin, and Cooper) spell it that way.
However, the dictionary has it with 1 l and my map uses 1 l too.

Are both correct?
Or is it suppose to have only 1 l?
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: correct spelling of Vermilion?

Post by Matt »

I discovered the "single L" spelling when I searched for this peak on summitpost last summer. No results came up until I tried to spell it with one "L."Surprised, I looked it up in the dictionary and found one "L" is "correct" since the peak is named after the reddish pigment that gives the peak its color.
Great TR, by the way. That's a fun peak with tremendous views. I had to wait for a large mountain goat to leave the summit so I could finish the climb. He wasn't about to share the top with me...
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Every time I checked this peak I saw one "l". I believe Bill's summit panoramas from other San Juan peaks (Redcloud, Handies) identify this peak as "Vermilion" when present. This is a magnificent mountain even when viewed from the highway. Otto Mears' railroad once rode by it. I consider it a landmark when I travel overland from Denver to Phoenix via Lizard Head Pass.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

single L on both slipknot songs with that name
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

fleetmack wrote:single L on both slipknot songs with that name
:YY :YY
jwproulx
14ers: 56  10  1 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jwproulx »

Colorado has a Vermillion Creek, Mesa, and Bluffs (two L's) and a Vermilion Peak (one L), according to the USGS Board on Geographic Names -- see http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and search for 'vermil' in Colorado.