Climbing Sunlight Spire

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Climbing Sunlight Spire

Post by PKelley »

I am aware of the Mountain Project, and Summit Post site descriptions of the Sunlight Spire. I have also seen an "unfinished" trip report through links on those pages, and reviewed Rosebrough's San Juan guidebook. Simply put, I feel as though I have exhausted commonly available resources while trying to collect beta for this spire. I want to know a bit more. I am trying to find folks, or contact information for folks, who have actually free climbed the spire. I know that it is somewhere between .10a and .10d, and that the crack is reportedly between 1-3 inches wide. Please let me know if you know someone who has climbed it, as I will be climbing the spire soon and would like to ask a few more questions about their experience. Thanks.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
ossie322
14ers: 58  7  2 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Climbing Sunlight Spire

Post by ossie322 »

You should read this and then contact them:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."
PKelley
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for.
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Thread hijak

I'd love to do the spire! I don't lead 10 trad. If there is some ropegun out there that needs someone to hold his/her line drop me a line. I'd love to go!
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

It's on my very short list. Steadily getting back to that level after a hiatus. Hoping to get out to the Platte over the next few months to get reacquainted with steep granite cracks (Turkey Foot, Center Route, etc.) I doubt I have the time left to try Sunlight this year but maybe next? [-o<
-Tom
PKelley
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I will make a trip report after I am done climbing it.
PKelley
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

I have posted a brief trip report of my ascent of Sunlight Spire. I will post many more details in the next few days......