Mount Oso and surrounding 13ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Mount Oso and surrounding 13ers

Post by mennoguy »

A recent search on FourteenerWorld revealed almost zero beta on this area. The only peaks with reports were Oso and "Soso". I am curious about the ridge extending west from Peters Peak with Points 13222, 13300, and 13302. According to Lists of John 13300 and 13302 are both class 4. I am also curious about "Weminuche Peak" which is to the east of Rock Lake and 13310 and 13340 which are to the south of "Soso". Do all of these peaks have reasonable access from Rock Lake and Rock Creek.

I ask because I am planning a week-long backpack to the Weminuche. The plan right now is to start at the Thirtymile TH on Saturday the 22nd and then follow the CDT to Stony Pass collecting all possible 12ers and 13ers, then hike the long road back to the TH on Friday the 28th.

Mount Oso is not part of the current plan. However if I can receive good enough beta, I may change my plan and go to Rock Lake and clear out the peaks there.

Either way I am excited for the trip deep into the heart of the Weminuche.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mount Oso and surrounding 13ers

Post by Presto »

There's three trip reports and route info on summitpost.org. Hope that helps. Please post a trip report after you go ... those are on our list too. Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM