Suggest a one-way hike near Denver

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hobo13
14ers: 45 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Suggest a one-way hike near Denver

Post by hobo13 »

Well, we thought we had it all worked out. We've been wanting to do Spaulding from G. Pass, continuing onto Evans -- but not so keen on the return trip. I figured that since the in-laws would be in town over Labor Day weekend, we could have them pick us up on top of Evans and shuttle us back to G. Pass to our car. We'd get a ride off the summit, and they'd get a taste of the CO high country! Win-win.

And then they closed G. Pass for the season. Crap.

So, what should we do now? Seems I shouldn't waste this opportunity. (But I think that driving the long way back to G. Pass is just too much.) Any ideas for other killer one-way hikes that you would love to do if you had a confirmed and reliable shuttle driver? We could do Evans from another route, sure, but I think we might just save this route for when the road re-opens.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggest a one-way hike near Denver

Post by larkinrx2 »

do some one way trails thru golden gate canyon area??
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weschun »

Not a shuttle, but have them take you to the top of Loveland pass, hike Grizzly (and Torrys if you have it in you), and return. They can play in Frisco while you are gone.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

I was out of the loop for a while - is all Guanella Pass closed, or just the stretch from Georgetown to the summit? I thought it was only the Georgetown section to the summit that was closed. If that's the case, go through Grant from 285 to the TH. It's a bit out of the way for you, but hey - some things are worth it.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

wildlobo71 wrote:I was out of the loop for a while - is all Guanella Pass closed, or just the stretch from Georgetown to the summit? I thought it was only the Georgetown section to the summit that was closed. If that's the case, go through Grant from 285 to the TH. It's a bit out of the way for you, but hey - some things are worth it.

problem is someone driving from the the pick up at evans all the way back to Guanella having to back track way down to cross over to 285 (or reverse)
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Have them drive you up to the top of Borreas Pass, hike Baldy, and then catch the bus down into Breck off of Baldy where they will be waiting for you. Win win for both parties...they get a scenic/historical/beautiful drive on an easy dirt road while you get to hike one of the coolest ridges in Summit. They will be having fun shopping and eating in downtown Breck and you will be kicking butt on that Class 2 hike. Once you come down off the summit you will hit Baldy Road and you can catch the free bus into town.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You could have them drop you off at the summit of Pikes Peak, then pick you up 13 downhill miles later in Manitou Springs. They could hang out at The Loop drinking margaritas while they wait. :D
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

Jim Davies wrote:You could have them drop you off at the summit of Pikes Peak, then pick you up 13 downhill miles later in Manitou Springs. They could hang out at The Loop drinking margaritas while they wait. :D
You know you are getting old when you prefer to hike 13 miles UPHILL rather than DOWNHILL! (And I've already done Pikes, and not aiming to repeat it right now.)
hobo13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hobo13 »

summitrunner wrote:Have them drive you up to the top of Borreas Pass, hike Baldy, and then catch the bus down into Breck off of Baldy where they will be waiting for you. Win win for both parties...they get a scenic/historical/beautiful drive on an easy dirt road while you get to hike one of the coolest ridges in Summit. They will be having fun shopping and eating in downtown Breck and you will be kicking butt on that Class 2 hike. Once you come down off the summit you will hit Baldy Road and you can catch the free bus into town.
This is just the kind of suggestion I was looking for! Thanks.
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

- Tenmile Traverse (Mount Royal through Peak 10, 12 summits..you can bail at many points)

- Drop off at Rollins Pass, hike back to Berthoud Pass. Nice jaunt along the divide.

- RMNP: Milner Pass to Bear Lake. Stunning. Really really stunning. 17 miles or so.
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Here's what I did last year on the Friday before Labor day and saw nobody until the top.

Start out in Frisco, take the Miner's Creek to the Colorado Trail, up to the top of the Tenmile Range, over the top and down the Wheeler/CT to Copper Mountain and then back to Frisco. I was going to take the free bus but missed it and would have had to wait 45 minutes so I just kept on walking and back to Frisco.

You could also keep going on and connect back into Breckenridge from up on top of the Tenmile range.

I had fun.

This year I am considering going from Frisco up over the Gore range to the east Vail exit at the Gore Creek TH.