Hoping for a few suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Hoping for a few suggestions

Post by Vermont Mike »

A couple friends and I are are planning on attempting Crestone Peak on Sunday, but since the weather outlook seems to keep getting worse and worse I wanted to have a good backup peak(s) lined up (fairly new to Class 3 so I don't want to climb that red gully when slick). The weather forecast is looking (relatively) better for the Front Range, so I'm wondering what Front Range peak would be somewhat comparable to Crestone Peak? I realize the rock will be different, just looking for similar difficulty/exposure, also preferably something above or around 13,000' (my friends are looking for altitude training along with some good scrambling).

Thanks!

Mike
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Hoping for a few suggestions

Post by JB99 »

Longs up the Loft would be good, Meeker from there is fun also and you can do both or just one. I would guess Kelso Ridge would be another fun day although I haven't done it. The Peak isn't that exposed though so climbing it a little wet might not be too bad. If you are packing in get all the way to Cottonwood Lake and you could pretty quickly get in a summit attempt.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There's the northeast ridge of Father Dyer Peak, 13er just south of Breckenridge. Fun, solid, not too exposed, and you can traverse to Crystal Peak and either Peak 10 or (if you're feeling ambitious) Pacific Peak and make a loop back to the Spruce Creek trailhead via Mohawk Lakes, or traverse from Father Dyer to Mt Helen for more class-3 fun.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Jim Davies on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
JayMiller
14ers: 28 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JayMiller »

1+ on Kelso Ridge, but also you might think about the East Ridge of Bierstadt with a crossing of the Sawtooth to get back. The road is closed at Summit Lake, about 2 miles from the trail head, but that is just a walk up the road and could be shortened by cutting across. Either way, if the weather turns bad, you havn't driven 150 miles.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.