13ers in the Bierstadt/Evans area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
statentr
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

13ers in the Bierstadt/Evans area

Post by statentr »

Any good suggestions on some 13ers or 12ers in the Front Range area that are easy to access and good for a fall ascent, assuming the weather warms back up?
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 13ers in the Bierstadt/Evans area

Post by TomPierce »

What's that peak across the street from Bierstadt? Squaretop? I've done that in winter and it was a good hike. I think Mt. Edwards is also in the area, near Grays but accessed on the northern end of the Guanella Pass road outside of Georgetown. I did it years ago and it's also a nice hike.
-Tom
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Yes Tom, that is Squaretop, all 13,794 feet of it. From Guanella isn't doesn't look all that square but once on top you have a fair amount of space to move about. I last summited it in July 1995. Argentine Peak is nearby, as is Wilcox. Mount Edwards is a bit of a walk; must go to Argentine Peak, then Argentine Pass, then you may walk up Edwards to access Grays. Squaretop has the best view of the southern Front Range, even better than the 14er's in my opinion. On a clear day you can see Mount Holy Cross. I had a dream about that view last night.

The weather usually warms up after the first cold and snow but I am guessing snow will be on the ground somewhere in the southern Front Range until next summer. Have a great trip.
Last edited by Mark A Steiner on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Easy access: Pettingell Peak can be accessed from Herman Gulch (exit 218 on I70). Mt Parnassus from the same TH, but up Waltrous Gulch. Bard Peak from the Bakerville exit.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Absolutely!

1. Square Top Mountain (13,794 ft.) -- This bicentenial peak is across the valley to the west of Bierstadt and you likely noticed its namesake summit during an ascent of that peak. Square Top makes a great all-season ascent. It is about halfway between Evans/Bierstadt and Grays/Torreys. You can access Square Top by driving to Guanella Pass, parking in the upper lot, and then hiking in the opposite direction from Bierstadt. There is a great trail to Lower Square Top Lake, which is 1.8 miles from Guanella Pass. From there, you ascend above the lake to the Southeast Ridge and follow the ridge to the summit. The route remains Class 1 the entire way and provides beautiful and unique views of the surrounding 14ers.

2. Mount Edwards (13,850 ft.) -- A centennial 13er, Edwards is on the Continental Divide just east of Grays Peak. I just climbed Edwards via Argentine Pass from Peru Creek/Horseshoe Basin and can't recommend this route enough. If the Peru Creek Road remains open, this is a beautiful 7.5 mile, 2,750 ft. ascent that includes a trip through the famous Argentine Pass and over two miles above 13,000 ft. on the Continental Divide. You can also climb Argentine Peak (13,738 ft.) from Argentine Pass, thus giving you one centennial 13er and one bicentennial 13er on the same hike. The solitude and stunning views of the Divide are well worth this trip. Plus, the trailhead in Peru Creek is less than two hours from Denver.

3. Santa Fe Peak/Sullivan Mountain/Geneva Peak -- These three lower 13ers were probably my favorite hike this summer and have great potential through the fall, especially if the Santa Fe Peak road remains accessible. You reach these peaks from the town of Montezuma, less than 10 minutes from Keystone. They see VERY few travelers, have a very unique view of the area, and provide a great out-and-back hike on the Divide above 12,000 for over 7 miles. Check out my trip report from last week: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I cannot recommend these peaks enough!!!

Please let me know if you want any additional details on these peaks or any more recommendations. Have fun!!!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

13ers: Bald Mountain and Boreas Mountain from Boreas Pass. Drive to the top of the pass and start walking.
12ers: Peak X, Y, and Z from the Lost Park road (see Roach's Lost Creek book for the route).
Or North and SouthTwin Cone, mostly a road walk from Kenosha Pass; expect to see hunters for these and X/Y/Z.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Spalding and Gray Wolf both give you pretty cool views of Evans' North Face and are easily accesible from Guanella Pass if you don't mind some muddy willows.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?