hiking the Colorado trail in June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
plark42
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (1)

hiking the Colorado trail in June

Post by plark42 »

When's the best time of year to do the colorado trail?
"ninety percent of genius is showing up." -Woody Allen
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Re: hiking the Colorado trail in June

Post by hotrod »

I backpacked on it for ten days one July. All was well except the flies were a real nuisance the latter half of segment 8 and during section 9. Might just have been a bad year, because since then I have backpacked or hiked around 120 miles more (going south) and haven't had a problem. Most of that 120 was in an August. A few backpacking days in June were hot at the lower elevations. Definitely the everyday rain in August got me a little down, though. Crossing Snow Mesa in thick fog was map and compass time, because the carsonite posts couldn't be seen! And breaking a glacier out of my water bucket many mornings was interesting also. Hiding my food cache above timberline was a challenge as well. You will probably experience a little of everything, especially if you want to go end to end in one effort. So I don't know if there is a "best" time to hike it.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: hiking the Colorado trail in June

Post by Pivvay »

plark42 wrote:When's the best time of year to do the colorado trail?
Depends on your pace. It's likely still got snow on the high parts even in late June. Not impassible persay but not nearly as easy as when melted out.

By late July the trail is more or less usually snow free. By late August new snowfall at the upper elevations is a definite possibility.

Starting from Denver gives you more time to gradually work to the first real upper elevations of seg 6&7.