Friday ascent of either Arapahoe Peaks or Mt. Edwards...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
statentr
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Friday ascent of either Arapahoe Peaks or Mt. Edwards...

Post by statentr »

What would be the better hike on Friday if I want to accomplish the overall peak? I am a little worried about the Arapahoe Traverse between north and south being a little icy and impassable. Does anyone have any input on this, if so I would appreciate it!
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Friday ascent of either Arapahoe Peaks or Mt. Edwards...

Post by Layne Bracy »

Yes, I think that Edwards is less likely to give you problems than the Arapaho Traverse.

I hiked Edwards via Argentine with a decent amount of snow, and it was still only class 2. Here's my report from a few years ago:
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/1 ... wards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Arapahos with that much snow would have been pretty interesting.
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pivvay »

I've done the arapahoes with early heavy snow and it's doable but the 3rd crux section is super spicy. Really an axe or crampons doesn't even help there, just good old thin mixed climbing with your hands.
thunderinacircle
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thunderinacircle »

I was up around Sawtooth and Alqonquin on Saturday and there was over a foot of snow above about 12000 feet. The wind was absolutely brutal as well. I imagine there is similar snow on the Arapahoe's, if not more, due to their elevation.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.