Crystal Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Crystal Peak

Post by Neil »

We will be attempting Crystal Peak tomorrow via the Crystal Lakes approach on the east side. I would appreciate any information you have on these two questions:

1. How is the snow cover on eastern aspects in the Tenmile Range, both below and above treeline? I was on Argentine last weekend and didn't need floatation, but I know we've had at least one storm come through this week. Any info on snow cover or how wicked the Wed/Thu storm was would be greatly appreicated.

2. What is the time/elevation savings between starting at the Crystal Lakes/Spruce Creek T vs driving up the Spruce Creek Road and starting from the Aquaduct Road intersection? I've made it up the Spruce Creek Road in my Outback before -- my main concern is the amount of time savings provided by a start from Aquaduct Road.

Thanks for any help!!

Neil
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
GravityPilot
14ers: 18 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Crystal Peak

Post by GravityPilot »

It's warm here today, so stuff is melting off. The road should be clear to the top and the savings is enough to make a difference, do it if you can. Below tree line snow will remain in sheltered areas, but over all it won't be bad. Above will be slippery but manageable. The eastern and southern aspects have been pretty dry, but expect snow. Shoe spikes or cat traks etc will be fine. Bring gaiters if you have them and some extra layers, it's cold up high with the wind. It's not much, but here's a picture of the N. Face of Quandary from yesterday mid day.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I walked up the road from the Spruce Creek TH this summer; I think it took about an hour to get to the lower lake, so you'd save maybe 30-45 minutes each way by driving to the aqueduct (plus you skip the steep unpleasant part of the road).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustj »

I'm not sure how much help this will be but here are some pictures from last weekend on Crystal. I realize that a lot has changed since then but at least you can get an idea. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the actual valley you need. It doesn't look like it, but the wind was fierce and was blowing snow in my face pretty good. The picture of the valley is the valley to the south of the Crystal Lakes.
Attachments
Crystal.jpg
Crystal.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Crystal's Summit.jpg
Crystal's Summit.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Crystal Peak.jpg
Crystal Peak.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

panicneil wrote:We will be attempting Crystal Peak tomorrow via the Crystal Lakes approach on the east side.
Did you head up there today? Greenhouseguy and I were up there today and did Father Dyer, Crystal, and Peak 10 from the aquaduct intersection. Great day to be in the mountains weatherwise! Saw someone standing on Pacific while we were on Crystal, but no one else until getting back by the TH.

It has definitely melted out since the previous pictures above...we went up the east ridge of Dyer and had almost zero snow the entire ridge...

Area from today:
Crystal from saddle with Father Dyer

Upper Crystal Lake with the standard route trail running along Peak 10
Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

First, thank you all for these informative responses. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on good info -- this is what makes this site great!

Derek -- Unfortunately, after taking it easy on Friday, crawling into bed at 9:00 and setting the alarm for 4:30 am Saturday, Crystal was frustratingly not to be. My buddy and climbing partner sent me some text messages at 3 am indicating he had gone out for a beer and that beer turned into many, many drinks and he would likely not be getting up in 90 minutes for the hike. Very unfortunate. I wish I would have have known you guys were heading up there...it would have been great to hike with you two. We really do need to set up a Centennial rendezvous. Let me know what you have coming up...and thank you again for the good pics.
-Driving Song
Neil
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Also, Derek, did you access Father Dyer's east ridge from the steep slopes up from Crystal Lakes Basin or did you head over Helen from the Aquaduct Road?
-Driving Song
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

panicneil wrote:Also, Derek, did you access Father Dyer's east ridge from the steep slopes up from Crystal Lakes Basin or did you head over Helen from the Aquaduct Road?
If you head over Helen, you're actually climbing up kinda the SE ridge of Father Dyer, which is different than the east ridge. The east ridge (that we took) starts just up the 4x4 road from the lower crystal lake. We did a wrap around and gained the ridge from the south, and then followed the ridge straight west. Some fun scrambling.

I'll try to put up a trip report of our route sometime soon for clarification.

--Derek