colorado trail gps info?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pnolans
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

colorado trail gps info?

Post by pnolans »

I know this is not a 14ers.com issue really, but thought I'd ask. I tried searching for "colorado trail" and the engine
came back with "too many matches" or something like that.

Anybody have a gpx file or gps log of the Colorado Trail? I can't believe how hard it is to find this.

I found one for Google Earth, but I'm looking for something I can import into Topo USA or one of the
others like Garmin's Basecamp.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Pat
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Re: colorado trail gps info?

Post by hotrod »

I don't know anything about what you are trying to do, but maybe someone at these sites can help if you contact them. http://www.coloradotrail.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/B ... _info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

What I'm trying to do, is
but I'm looking for something I can import into Topo USA or one of the
others like Garmin's Basecamp.
I can download stuff like 14er Trailheads , Co Dept of Wildlife Wildlife Management Areas, etc....

I USE to have something like this for TOPO! sw, which was bought by Nat Geographic ...

Co Trail .org doesn't have anythng like that.

I have hardcopy maps that have the Co Trail marked specially on them, I just would like to have something that specifies the trails on the mapping sw I have.

Thanks anyway
"Hey Queen Isabella,
Common Sense John Prine
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

FYI:

I found this website that sells the waypoints in a format that works with several formats:

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Reroutes.htm
"Hey Queen Isabella,
Common Sense John Prine
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

I used to have it as well, seems to be gone, and I can't find it at the NG or Topo site where they used to have them, who deleted that web site? :evil:
I do have the CDT however. I was going to upload it but I can't find an extension that is allowed, I'm sure that info is here somewhere.
actually not.
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pivvay »

I have one. If you can't find it, email me through the site and I'll dig it up. It's in my archives and I'll have to make sure I get you the hiker CT, not the bike detour version but I'm sure I have both.

The trail is super easy to follow but that being said, I liked having my GPS out there anyway.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You could get the Google Earth kmz file from the coloradotrail.org site, then run it through this converter:
http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

Pivvay wrote:I have one. If you can't find it, email me through the site and I'll dig it up. It's in my archives and I'll have to make sure I get you the hiker CT, not the bike detour version but I'm sure I have both.

The trail is super easy to follow but that being said, I liked having my GPS out there anyway.
Thanks a bunch to you, Jim Davies and dsunwall..

I'm going to use the converter that Jim pointed to and convert the Google Earth kmz file.

Actually, I just like to plan things by LOOKING at my TOPO USA sw ... and then follow it in my head once I get there. I get tired of going back and forth from the
hardcopy Trails Illustrated maps and my computer... I use my GPS most of the time for just logging where I've been ... I carry the map if I'm not sure where I'm going.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Pat
"Hey Queen Isabella,
Common Sense John Prine
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

I now have the resultant gpx file imported into TOPO USA V8... I can provide the file if anyone wants it.

I'm not sure what the legality of publishing it is.

If it's not a problem, I'll probably put it on my website.

Thanks again.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
Common Sense John Prine
bearcreek
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bearcreek »

Here's the deal. The GPS waypoints were all collected by hiking the trail multiple times with pro grade equipment. This has resulted in several products for users. One is the Colorado Trail Map Book, which is a spiral bound book of shaded relief maps for the entire route and tables of waypoints. This is available only through the Colorado Trail Foundation, which uses proceeds to maintain the trail. http://www.coloradotrail.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A set of waypoints in various gps formats for the entire trail is available on my website for $11.00 which goes to maintaining the web site. This is a copyrighted data set. http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The kmz file is a diluted track file so it lacks detail somewhat but it will probably get you there ok. We put it on the public domain a while back - you can do whatever you wish with it. It is available from the CT website at: http://www.coloradotrail.org/The_Colora ... e_2009.kmz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun out there.