Spanish Peaks-conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Spanish Peaks-conditions

Post by ketel1 »

Anyone climbed either West or East lately? Any plans to this weekend? I would appreciate hearing how they are these days, snow-wise. I am going that way next weekend and may climb one Friday.
Thanks~
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Spanish Peaks-conditions

Post by CRAIGO »

I am considering Westie this weekend. I called the forrest service and cordova pass is still open. I would imagine that snow is still pretty manageable.
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

I shall eagerly await your safe return and scouting report... :)
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

go to wunderground.com and check out rogthedodge's webcam - shows a great view of west spanish - doesn't look like much snow - should be a great time to climb - i've done both and they are two of my favorite hikes
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Looked bone dry today.
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

guitarczar wrote:go to wunderground.com and check out rogthedodge's webcam - shows a great view of west spanish - doesn't look like much snow - should be a great time to climb - i've done both and they are two of my favorite hikes

How do I search by webcam name? Cuchara, where I am staying for the weekend, is socked in and gorgeous. I may just hang out at the cabin and sip hot toddies instead.
Attachments
Winter Wonderland Oct 21st
Winter Wonderland Oct 21st
cuchara.jpg (87.3 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
guitarczar
14ers: 8 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitarczar »

at wunderground.com under features click on webcams and enter colorado - rogthedodge's cam should be there - might be listed as La Veta - sorry i'm not more help, i'm not to good with computers ! i just looked at it and you're right - all i see is beautiful snow !
"the rocky mountain way is better than the way we had"
krazykat
Trip Reports (0)

Post by krazykat »

looks like you will just have to hit "the dog bar" extra hard.
pnolans
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

If you look at this url, it points to the 16th of October...

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/Rog ... 091016.flv

But the page it takes you to, has the month laid out below it.

Oh, and if you start, and just go to Webcams, then pick Colorado, it's the "La Veta" one.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

ketel1 wrote:I shall eagerly await your safe return and scouting report...
Sorry. I ended up taking the wife up Bierstadt instead. I hiked Westie over Memorial Day this year, made it to the top, but couldn't see 10 feet in front of me becuase of fog and snow. Maybe next year I will have a view from the top. Its about 4 hours round trip, and a fun hike. I hope you make it.
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

krazykat wrote:looks like you will just have to hit "the dog bar" extra hard.
Oh, you know it!! We checked and they are still open through the end of the month, thank goodness. My friend's cabin is in walking distance.

Thanks for the webcam tips. I was looking at the LaVeta and Cuchara cams the whole time but could not search by the cam operator's name-which I cannot do, I learned. The scene is the same as yesterday, with more snow. I LOVE snow, don't get me wrong. But I was hiking this solo. I am not comfortable doing that in such conditions...so, I will take snowshoes, go for a hike instead. And hit the Dog Bar :)
Thanks, all-
Beth
Attachments
Looks like perfect weather to make hot toddies...
Looks like perfect weather to make hot toddies...
laveta.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 2014 times