The road to Greenhorn Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

The road to Greenhorn Mountain

Post by zoomie83 »

Not quite the the public service significance of the avalanche post, but I thought I'd post a correction to the info on Summitpost concerning the road to the upper Greenhorn Mountain Trailhead. From the 4-way intersection, the directions say to take FR 403 or Greenhorn Mountain Road. The road is actually marked as FR 369 and has no mention of Greenhorn Mountain Road. My friend and I climbed this mountain yesterday and weren't sure we were on the right road until about a mile from the trailhead. The road itself is in great condition with only a couple of icy sections and we drove a Cavalier to the TH with no problems. There was also no snow at all on the mountain and the reward to effort ratio is extremely high. 360 degree views with the entire Sangre de Cristo Range in full view. The Spanish Peaks also appeared to have no snow. If you want a great hike, do this before they close the road but wear something with bright colors; we saw 2 other hikers but probably 100 hunters.
BALONEYMAN
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The road to Greenhorn Mountain

Post by BALONEYMAN »

+1 i have done greenhorn mountian every year for the last 4 years it is a beautiful hike. if you want some challenge try hiking the mountian from the rye side of the trail i think it is about 7 miles one way but you get to cross a huge boulder field and criss cross an avalanche scar beautiful colors in the valley below during fall and spring.