State High Points

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: State High Points

Post by PatsSox09 »

If you want a challenger on Mt. Washington, try the Huntington Ravine. In good conditions it's a great scramble, class 3/4, and much less crowded than the other routes. The best part about it, too, once you top out of the Ravine, you still have a mile to go, but it's pretty much a very pleasant above treeline walk with little elevation gain that really lets you savour the mountain, knowing all the hard work is behind you (unlike Lions Head or Tuckerman's, which is pretty much a grunt all the way to the top).
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

Should go to Mt. Washington web site to check avalanche conditions. I did Tuckerman's trail in early April. It was a grunt climb (winter conditions) up through Tuckerman's to the summit cone.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
chasrobt
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by chasrobt »

hey thanks; that's the route I took (didn't clarify earlier that I had been up Washington)--very scenic route--snow still at the ravine..took Lion's Head back down; July 09 I stayed in Center Conway NH. A long fu^^$in drive from C.S.

Charlie
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

Yeah, Mt. W. is a fun hike. Can get pretty scary if the weather is bad. The photo of me (right) was taken just above the rim of Tuckerman's this past April.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
Legatjoe
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Legatjoe »

I didn't see that anyone mentioned the Highpointers club

http://highpointers.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marscip
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marscip »

The only one I've ever hiked is High Point, NJ. Also drove up there many times, then walked the 100 or so yards to the monument. Hell, even that "hike" was only about a mile.

I drove up the Auto Road in NH to Mt. Washington, didn't have time to do the hike... :( I shall return!

1 down, 49 to go...
- Joe
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I visited the Arkansas High Point last Sunday (#16) and I can vouch it's a Class 1. :)

http://coloradoguy.com/arkansas-high-po ... gazine.htm

I think it was 0.4 mile walk through the woods to the summit of Mt. Magazine.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
stlouishiker
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by stlouishiker »

ColoradoGuy wrote:I visited the Arkansas High Point last Sunday (#16) and I can vouch it's a Class 1. :)

http://coloradoguy.com/arkansas-high-po ... gazine.htm

I think it was 0.4 mile walk through the woods to the summit of Mt. Magazine.
That seems pretty hard compared to Missouri's. Taum Sauk is only 200 yards on 10 ft. wide paved trail that gains no elevation. :wink: