XC in the Gores

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OtisUnzipped
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

XC in the Gores

Post by OtisUnzipped »

I have done a rather thorough search for beta on XC in the Gores and find it to be minimal at best. Don't get a lot of word-of-mouth on it either. Perhaps not such a grand place to ski?

I have not spent a lot of time in the Gores, so I not not very familiar with the area. Can anyone shed a light on some good XC routes to spend a day on, perhaps with an overnight? I plan on getting up there after the avy danger decreases a bit. I would really like to enjoy some of the range before the mosquitoes make their appearance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and put to good use!

Cheers
The ground is a harsh spotter.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: XC in the Gores

Post by Doug Shaw »

I have limited Gores experience myself (only been once) but the area is known for rugged terrain with large quantities of deadfall - which I suspect would make the skiing not so great.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

I visited a few basins back in there last summer and one common theme was the slide runoff that would either cross trails or be very apparent close by. Those slopes don't seem to hold much. That said, we snowshoed the Meadow Creek Trail (Red Mountain/Deming) in January and that would made for a nice day trip. Getting up the Piney Creek Trail would hold some incredible views of the Ripsaw Ridge and since I doubt the roads are maintained all the way (I could be very worng with that statement though) I would think that would make for some nice overnight possibilities... getting any summits would be a tall order back there but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
OtisUnzipped
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OtisUnzipped »

Doug, Floyd, thanks mucho for that info. I wondered if the terrain was just not very good for it. Looks like they are off the list and I will have to settle for puttin on the snowshoes to get in there. Shucks. :D

And your right about not being too interested in the summits on this go. I just want to get out there and get more familiar with the area. The summits will be there.
The ground is a harsh spotter.